GX550 Real World MPG

Average 19.2 mpg mixed with minimal city and 60% 45mph two lane easy driving 40% highway. Taking the 65mph slow ride I turned 21.5mpg for an hour mostly highway drive. To me it is great to see it can actually hit the higher estimates. Can definitely see city stop and go really cutting it back as it takes a bit of input to get the 3 tons going and keeping up with others.

Trip last weekend bumped up my mileage from 150 to 950. A lot of stop and go traffic on the interstate so not a true test but on the way there I averaged around 16.9 mpg. After local roads and the aggressive drive home I was down to 15.8 mpg but definitely better than my Armada.

I’ve had mine for a week now- have driven around 320 miles and I’m sitting at 16.1 mpg. Have driven primarily on ECO mode and very conservatively. 98% city driving given that I’m in Miami. I’m hoping the range extends a bit- I’m sitting at about 285 miles after each fill up.

Going on 2,000 miles on my White Overtrail. Took another 250 mile trip with Roof Rack & 41 psi in factory Toyo 33 inch tires, outside temp of 94 degrees. This was on a fairly flat road with 700 lb lnside the cabin, cruise set to 70 mph = 20.1 mpg, 65 mph = 23 mpg and 61 mph = 25.3 mpg. The GX550 stayed in 10th gear at all speeds. I will test again with my 7,000 lb trailer in the near future. Wind resistance really hurts the GX 550. It is so hard driving at these slow speeds with all the other cars blowing past me but I need to find my peak efficiency to get the most range out of pulling my trailer.

Vehicles setup for off roading as much as this 550 is just catch to much wind as high as they sit. The fulltime heavy duty drivetrain with the big tires are also a killer on mpg. My Genesis GV80 is a much better hwy SUV but it can't handle the truck duties like the GX550 can. Just two different classes of vehicles.

Last edited:
For those reporting mileage numbers, could you include whether it's pump-calculated or ECU driven? Pump calculated mileage (miles driven/gallons filled) is often very different from what is being reported on the dash, and a better representation of actual mileage in practice.

OT+ 12.7 city
I’m riving in eco mode and keeping the little eco light on (which is super tough having everyone pass you 😂) I’m in FL so it’s definitely not because of hills either.

I’m at 620 miles or so, hoping it gets better but I’m not hearing it will. I fill up and get 258 range. I expected 15 mpg, but the 12.7 being babied is a bummer.
Still LOVE driving it though.

OT+ 12.7 city
I’m riving in eco mode and keeping the little eco light on (which is super tough having everyone pass you 😂) I’m in FL so it’s definitely not because of hills either.

I’m at 620 miles or so, hoping it gets better but I’m not hearing it will. I fill up and get 258 range. I expected 15 mpg, but the 12.7 being babied is a bummer.
Still LOVE driving it though.
I've seen a few posts where people have reported terrible mileage like you are experiencing when using Eco drive mode. I just use normal 99% of the time and Sport or Sport+ when I'm feeling like getting spicy, but I'm getting 16-18mpg calculated with miles driven and gallons at the pump. Sometimes the GX thinks it was less, like 15.5, but the math shows it is better. Also, I'm at about 4,200 miles and my tank range by the computer is now about 325, and really is probably closer to 350 if I'm being conservative and driving more on the highway. I've gotten over 21 on one strictly highway trip. If you haven't already, you can easily remove the roof rack if you have one, and it will be both quieter and might get you a little bump in mileage.

I've seen a few posts where people have reported terrible mileage like you are experiencing when using Eco drive mode. I just use normal 99% of the time and Sport or Sport+ when I'm feeling like getting spicy, but I'm getting 16-18mpg calculated with miles driven and gallons at the pump. Sometimes the GX thinks it was less, like 15.5, but the math shows it is better. Also, I'm at about 4,200 miles and my tank range by the computer is now about 325, and really is probably closer to 350 if I'm being conservative and driving more on the highway. I've gotten over 21 on one strictly highway trip. If you haven't already, you can easily remove the roof rack if you have one, and it will be both quieter and might get you a little bump in mileage.
Well that’s good to hear! I’m switching to comfort mode stat then haha. No roof rack. As good as they look, my 4Runner got crazy wind noise and even more gangster lean when I put one on, so I’m scarred. Hopefully I get a jump up after a couple thousand. Thanks!

I had an interesting observation yesterday. I filled up and headed out for a 1 hour drive. During the first 15 minutes I was traveling about 80 and the computer showed my average MPG kept increasing up to about 20.5. I changed to a different highway with virtually no traffic, flat and straight, but lower speed limit, so I set the adaptive cruise at 72. After about 20 minutes I realized the computer now showed my mileage averaging only 20.1 mpg. I was wondering if it was the lower speed or cruise, so I took it off cruise, and while driving normally over the next 20 minutes my average climbed back up to 20.7. It's just a single, nonscientific observation, but it seems the adaptive cruise may throttle adjust more than my foot, resulting in a slight decrease in mileage. I just thought I would share in case others see anything similar.
I have no idea if this is true, but growing up my mother ALWAYS told us we couldn’t use cruise because it used more gas. I’ve never tested it mostly bc it’s one of many things she drove me crazy with as a teenager (she’s extremely frugal & only happy with parked cars). But, if anyone would’ve crunched the numbers - it’s her. Maybe the GX gets better mileage at/over 80 mph?

Potential owner here. After reading these posts and seeing 17mpg posted on the sticker, I’m left super disappointed. This crappy mileage is the primary reason I haven’t purchased. In this day and age I feel 17mpg’ish is completely unacceptable. Heck my Escalade gets 19mpg average. What the heck?!
My wife drives a 24 RX 500H. It’s 4cyl turbo hybrid gets 28mpg with tons of power! The technology is there to do better. A 6cly turbo hybrid would be the answer IMO. Get it together Lexus!!!

Hey everyone! My 98 corvette gets 30MPG with ease. I drive like an old man I guess!! Not always. Anyway it is lightweight and very slippery in the wind. Our GX is going to be the opposite of those characteristics. Heavy, Upright in form, and we live in the big hills all which is going to drag on the mileage. But it is going to be fun for sure! I will do the best I can on mileage awareness as I have seen others post on that. What a great vehicle it is. When I no longer see the value in it then I will get something else that suits my needs at that time. Enjoy your GX and keep it spankin' clean with pride.:)

Just returned for a 5 day 600 mile trip. We were able to net 21-23 mpg on multiple 90+ mile stretches. Cruising around 70 with and with our the cruise on. At the last fill up the range meter noted 43 miles (about 2gal), filled up with 15 gallons. So the reserve looks to come on with about 4 gal making the 21 total tank. The meter read 343 miles for the range. So 343 + (4 gal * 20 mpg) = 423 total range if driven as we did. Not bad in my book for the 3 ton full time 4wd brick that it is. If you drive stop and go, this seems to drop off quickly. Just another point of reference for future GX lookers.

Just got back from a 1400 mile trip, highway, mostly flat, some gentle hills. Both ways, I was between 21 and 22 MPG. Speed was around 70MPH. There was two of us plus a load of furniture in the back for my son on the way there (and more of his junk for the trip back LOL).

(FWIW, mixed city usually puts me at 15, 16, or so).

I’ve been paying attention to the instant mpg and adjust acceleration accordingly for a good coast. I’m able to get my around town mpg to 19, @35-45 mph. Comfort mode.

I don't drive this think like I stole it....I don't baby it or try to hyper-milage either. I mainly drive in normal or comfort mode and generally avoid putting my foot into it unless I have to. My bigger tires (35") haven't made much of a difference (penalty). My best mileage has been all highway travel from Phoenix to San Diego & back on my bigger 35" tires. On the way back from San Diego I kept the cruise control below 80 and it shows (15.92 mpg). On the way there I was at 90 for a good bit of the drive (13.97 to 14.10 mpg). I don't know how in the heck some of y'all are seeing 20 mpg.

Attachments

• mileage 9-8-24.pdf
    22.5 KB · Views: 21

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%