🧑‍💻 GX550 Tech Tips and Tricks

Cajun Heat

May 30, 2024
Media
Katy, TX
I figured that this would be a good way to find things that you can't figure out either because the dealer didn't explain it well or that the instructions are not clear to you.

Please post examples of things that was not clear to you, that is unique to the GX550/Lexus, in which there are specific instructions or videos explaining the use of the tech available.

Here is one that @JPE listed in a tread yesterday.

Linking your key fob to your memory setting on your seat.

"get in the car with your key fob that you want to "assign" to a memory position. I believe you have to already have programmed the memory position. Close the door, start the car, hold the memory button you want to assign to the fob with 1 finger and then with another finger hold the lock button until you hear a beep. After that the programmed memory position will be automatically used when you unlock or start the car with the key fob."

Last edited:
Well, I think we should start with just a thread. Edit your first post with a list of important tech tips with links. Once it gets big enough we can look at doing something else.

I figured that this would be a good way to find things that you can't figure out either because the dealer didn't explain it well or that the instructions are not clear to you.

Here is one that @JPE listed in a tread yesterday.

Linking your key fob to your memory setting on your seat.

"get in the car with your key fob that you want to "assign" to a memory position. I believe you have to already have programmed the memory position. Close the door, start the car, hold the memory button you want to assign to the fob with 1 finger and then with another finger hold the lock button until you hear a beep. After that the programmed memory position will be automatically used when you unlock or start the car with the key fob."
A helpful tip ty

Rear lift gate almost hitting your garage door? Use this tip to adjust the stopping height. Once already opened, push the button on the rear lift gate to close (not the close and lock button), hit the button again when the lift gate reaches the height you want to save, hold the button until you hear four beeps. To reset to the default height, hold the button until you hear six beeps.

Rear lift gate almost hitting your garage door? Use this tip to adjust the stopping height. Once already opened, push the button on the rear lift gate to close (not the close and lock button), hit the button again when the lift gate reaches the height you want to save, hold the button until you hear four beeps. To reset to the default height, hold the button until you hear six beeps.

That is handy!

Just in case anyone didn’t know, you can remote start the GX with the key fob as long as the key fob is within range of the GX. Just press the lock button on the key fob 2 times then press the lock button down one more time and hold it down for a few seconds until the GX starts. I find remote starting with a key fob more convenient than using the smartphone app as long as I’m within range of the car.

And the last key fob trick I know of is to hold down the unlock button for a few seconds and that will cause all the windows to roll down and the moonroof (if equipped) to open.
And the last key fob trick I know of is to hold down the unlock button for a few seconds and that will cause all the windows to roll down and the moonroof (if equipped) to open.
Great info ty

Reactions: JPE
Thanks for sharing! The Lexus app remote start seems to only work like 75% of the time for me.. It seems to be working more consistently as of lately though.

For the all windows roll down trick- was the vehicle started when you held down the unlock button? I couldn't seem to get this one to work

Reactions: JPE
Thanks for sharing! The Lexus app remote start seems to only work like 75% of the time for me.. It seems to be working more consistently as of lately though.

For the all windows roll down trick- was the vehicle started when you held down the unlock button? I couldn't seem to get this one to work
Sorry - I don't have my GX yet but I saw a video a while ago where it worked on another Lexus (maybe NX?) and thought it would work on the GX too. Maybe it doesn't work on the GX.

My Short List so far:
  • Hold Unlock on fob to open windows, programmable at dealer(Page 100 of manual)
  • Remote Start via fob: Lock 3 times holding on the last
  • Fob Sleep: Hold Lock, Press Unlock Twice, Fob Light will blink 4 times
  • Bind Seat Memory to Key. Press Seat preset and unlock on door
  • Enable auto parking break by pulling and holding until beep
I know one thing I will never be as smart as you guys I not even going to try ty

Great finds above. As someone who didn't come from a Lexus, I learned the rear view mirrors will angle down when in reverse so long as either the L or R buttons are clicked.

If anyone knows how to access the rear view camera when not in Reverse, that would be helpful. I'm not sure it's available in my Premium without surround-view capabilities.

Also, is there a trick to lock car while it's running and you're outside the vehicle? Tried on FOB, door handle, and app, but unable to figure it out.

Also, is there a trick to lock car while it's running and you're outside the vehicle? Tried on FOB, door handle, and app, but unable to figure it out.
Sadly Lexus doesn't allow this. There are a lot of posts online where people have two "hacks" to get around this - 1) use the physical key on the key fob to lock the car when you're outside it (you'll need to unlock with the physical key too) or 2) lower the window before you get out, reach in from the outside and press the lock button, then reach in the pull up on the auto-window up button before quickly removing your arm. Those hacks suck, so if you're trying to trying to keep the GX cool by having the A/C running while you run into a store for a quick stop, the easiest thing I know of is to actually turn the GX off, then remote start it from the outside with your key fob.

Last edited:
Thanks to @hciing for this tip on HUD settings.

"In order for turn by turn to show on the HUD. You can’t have the map enabled in the driver display (gauge cluster area). Selecting map off enables turn by turn in HUD."
Also on HUD, you can't see tachometer unless you disable the adaptive cruise control. Switch it to regular cruise control to see the tach arch on the HUD in full mode.

I need some tips and tricks on setting/storing the driver seat position. I've read that manual section like four times, and every time I try the steps I swear it's not working. I did learn you can say "Hey Lexus set driver seat position to memory 1" and it seems to work.

I think the issue might be that I have the digital key set up on my phone and I have been also bringing the fob with me, so I wonder if its getting confused and setting the memory to the digital key or fob or something? I am going to try it tonight making sure I dont bring my phone in the car and only have the key fob, and then do the same vice versa.

It seems like a better implementation would be to bring up the list of available keys and just assign using the touchscreen which keys should map to which seat profiles.

If anyone has the foolproof steps that have worked for them I'd appreciate it...its hard to get my position dialed in and be fully comfortable when I feel like it keeps changing slightly and I am not sure which settings are being applied.

I need some tips and tricks on setting/storing the driver seat position. I've read that manual section like four times, and every time I try the steps I swear it's not working. I did learn you can say "Hey Lexus set driver seat position to memory 1" and it seems to work.

I think the issue might be that I have the digital key set up on my phone and I have been also bringing the fob with me, so I wonder if its getting confused and setting the memory to the digital key or fob or something? I am going to try it tonight making sure I dont bring my phone in the car and only have the key fob, and then do the same vice versa.

It seems like a better implementation would be to bring up the list of available keys and just assign using the touchscreen which keys should map to which seat profiles.

If anyone has the foolproof steps that have worked for them I'd appreciate it...its hard to get my position dialed in and be fully comfortable when I feel like it keeps changing slightly and I am not sure which settings are being applied.
My seats weren't "calibrated". This video helped me resolve.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)