🧑‍💻 GX550 Tech Tips and Tricks

Is it normal for the front camera to turn on and take up the entire display screen every time I slow down and come to a stop ? If not, how do I turn that off ??
On the left hand side of the camera screen (when in Drive and not Reverse) I believe the 2nd icon from the bottom is a camera icon with an 'A' on it. Press that icon to turn off the auto display mode for the camera.

Last edited:
I’m going to need a lot of help. I’m in my 30s and still don’t know how to leverage 90% if the features. Need to figure out what I don’t know first.

One annoying thing is it seems that the car auto brakes when I let off the gas. At first I thought it was down shifting, but then noticed the brake lights at the bottom of the screen come on.

Anyone know how to turn this off? I suspect this is part of why some are getting horrible mileage like my current 14mpg.

I’m going to need a lot of help. I’m in my 30s and still don’t know how to leverage 90% if the features. Need to figure out what I don’t know first.

One annoying thing is it seems that the car auto brakes when I let off the gas. At first I thought it was down shifting, but then noticed the brake lights at the bottom of the screen come on.

Anyone know how to turn this off? I suspect this is part of why some are getting horrible mileage like my current 14mpg.
This YouTube video does a great job of getting down the basics

I think the auto break feature is being triggered because a car in front of you is within ‘close proximity’. The distance setting can be changed on the right side of the steering wheel.

Check out page 233 here.

I considered disabling this myself as a light break would sometimes be triggered prematurely (IMO), but think I figured out a work-around which is to not completely let your foot off the gas until you’re ready for the break to be applied. Having just the slightest foot on the pedal will allow you to coast without triggered the auto break function.

Hope that helps.

There is another feature that does this but I'm not where I can look at it and tell you the name right now. When I picked mine up the sales guy said it's the only feature he always turns off because otherwise so many people complain about it hitting the brakes for them every time they let off the gas. It's in the short cut controls, and once you turn that of it should drive more normally.

Dashcam move

As others have noted, the default location for the port installed dashcam is a little bit obtrusive to driver visibility. I was planning to see if the dealer could move it to the other side, but then when I took it in for window tinting, the installers removed the camera from the windshield and left it just hanging for me to reinstall after the tint dried. I decided to see if I could move it myself. I removed the two part housing from the rear view mirror, which was easier than you would expect, it just kinda came off with minor tugging. The wire for the dashcam was run over the top of 4 other wires and I could not disconnect it from the camera. After a few minutes I realized I could disconnect the other wires one at a time and move the dashcam over to the other side, took 2 minutes. Then I just worked on putting the housing back and tucking the wire up behind the cowling and the header. The tint installers had kindly added new 3M adhesive tape to the mounting plate. I got it ready to adhere and snugged it right up against the mirror housing. From the driver's seat I can barely even tell it's there. One thing to note is that the port installers cut a small notch in the header for the wire. I did not do this on the other side and it worked fine, and I can't see the original notch after moving the camera. It's a simple DIY mod that makes a great improvement to driver visibility and retains the extra security of having a dashcam.

Dashcam move

As others have noted, the default location for the port installed dashcam is a little bit obtrusive to driver visibility. I was planning to see if the dealer could move it to the other side, but then when I took it in for window tinting, the installers removed the camera from the windshield and left it just hanging for me to reinstall after the tint dried. I decided to see if I could move it myself. I removed the two part housing from the rear view mirror, which was easier than you would expect, it just kinda came off with minor tugging. The wire for the dashcam was run over the top of 4 other wires and I could not disconnect it from the camera. After a few minutes I realized I could disconnect the other wires one at a time and move the dashcam over to the other side, took 2 minutes. Then I just worked on putting the housing back and tucking the wire up behind the cowling and the header. The tint installers had kindly added new 3M adhesive tape to the mounting plate. I got it ready to adhere and snugged it right up against the mirror housing. From the driver's seat I can barely even tell it's there. One thing to note is that the port installers cut a small notch in the header for the wire. I did not do this on the other side and it worked fine, and I can't see the original notch after moving the camera. It's a simple DIY mod that makes a great improvement to driver visibility and retains the extra security of having a dashcam.
Can you include a picture of where you have it placed now? I think i need to move mine as well.

Dashcam move

Thank you very much!

Attachments

• 20240727_112021.jpg
    20240727_112021.jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 152
Ahh I bet this is exactly what my troubles are. Thanks much!! Will try this.
Hey did this work for you?

I just now noticed that my memory seat didn’t save either.

We set it at the dealer and I assumed it worked.

We moved the seat and air pressed 1 and nothing happened.

I called the dealer and they said they never heard of this happening.

I had both key fobs in the car, the wallet key in my pocket and the iPhone app installed.
So no idea if this was causing any of it.

Hey did this work for you?

I just now noticed that my memory seat didn’t save either.

We set it at the dealer and I assumed it worked.

We moved the seat and air pressed 1 and nothing happened.

I called the dealer and they said they never heard of this happening.

I had both key fobs in the car, the wallet key in my pocket and the iPhone app installed.
So no idea if this was causing any of it.
Hey - yes it actually did. This video was super helpful. Follow her instructions and then try saving your seat position again. You can also say "Hey Lexus store driver seat position to memory one" and it will save it as well (after you calibrate the seats that is).

When I use remote start, the car is not automatically reconnecting to apply car play once I enter the vehicle. any advise ?
I have to manually reconnect it to my phone.
Hold down on the power button until the screen resets, it should trigger a reconnection to car play.

This is any time you are having issues connecting to car play.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Comfort

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Normal

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)