Largest tires on 18” wheels!

Mainelexus

Jul 21, 2024
Media
Maine
I havean overtrail plus coming and plan on putting bigger tires on it. However I plan on using the existing 18” wheels. I was hoping someone had figured out the largest tire that would fit on the wheels and not run at all!

I haven't tested, but I've been looking and wondering the same thing. Stock tires are 265/70/18 which is right at 32.6 inches. A 275/70/18 would be 33.2 inches, definitely would not be a problem. A 285/70/18 is 33.7, which I still think would work fine. I'm not planning to replace my stock tires until they are worn down, but I'm thinking I might go with the 33.7 inch option when they do. That size is quite a bit heavier than the stock because I can only find it in an LT tire, but I think they would look good and they tend to have deeper starting tread depth.

I haven't tested, but I've been looking and wondering the same thing. Stock tires are 265/70/18 which is right at 32.6 inches. A 275/70/18 would be 33.2 inches, definitely would not be a problem. A 285/70/18 is 33.7, which I still think would work fine. I'm not planning to replace my stock tires until they are worn down, but I'm thinking I might go with the 33.7 inch option when they do. That size is quite a bit heavier than the stock because I can only find it in an LT tire, but I think they would look good and they tend to have deeper starting tread depth.
I have another vehicle which needs new tires, so these will go on that one, and I will get new tires for the lexus. In northern Maine the dirt roads have a lot of shale and are very very tough on sidewalls. I don't think the lt's would be a bad idea at all

I believe the general consensus is a 285/70r18 or 33.5 inch tire will fit with positive offset wheel. Finding a 33.5” that isn’t at LT tire is hard. If someone know of a non LT 33.5” please chime in. Anyone who has run LT tires knows the ride quality isn’t the best.

My 2021 ford tremor has 275/70r18 general grappler atx’s and they are phenomenal. But that’s a lot of money to shell out for roughly 1/2 inch bigger tire.

The falken wild peak AT4W is only a 6 ply LT with a C load rating.

That’s not bad to run.
Those are very interesting. My only concern is they are 68lbs, 15 lbs more than the stock at3. Total weight of the tire/wheel is something personally I’m going to take into consideration with new tires.

Yeah, I
Those are very interesting. My only concern is they are 68lbs, 15 lbs more than the stock at3. Total weight of the tire/wheel is something personally I’m going to take into consideration with new tires.
I almost always go with the biggest possible tires on my vehicles. I drove my 2010 Tundra from the dealership to discount tire and had them put bigger tires immediately. But the tundra has so much low end power that even with 34.5" Nitto Ridge Grapplers, I can turn them over pretty easily on dry pavement. In the GX, the power isn't off the line, it's a little into the RPMs, and I like the performance with the stock tires. I really like the look of the bigger meats, but I also like the quiet smooth ride and passing ability I currently have.

I mean this GX has almost 500lbft of torque and a 10sp transmission.

This isn’t a JK wrangler with a lazy 6speed and 260lbft trying to lug around 37’s.

I don’t think heavy tires are going to make a material difference on performance here.

My local off road shop that has an OT told me a couple things, and I trust them.
  • They put 35's on theirs but with a +35 offset and had to remove plastic pieces (clipped in) in the front and back of the front wheel wells as well as pinning the liner a little bit forward
  • 285/70/18 (34's) will fit on stock 18's just make sure you are buying a tire that's rated for the 7.5 inch rim. You won't have to move the liner but you will have to remove the two plastic pieces, and a 1" spacer

Comments above are correct that the OT stock tire is basically a passenger car version of an AT tire with less tread so that Lexus can show better gas milage / emissions. Going to an AT tire you are getting deeper tread and a meater looking tire if even at the same size as stock.

If you plan on going on gravel or rock roads the LT tire is safer sidewall strength. The extra weight will only affect the shock absorber performance I would think. Mud flaps too. P rated tires great for any paved roads. Firestone and BF Goodrich Trail T/A look good.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Comfort

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Normal

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)