MPG

sel

Jul 5, 2024
1 month in overtrail plus. Suburban and highway driving. Eco mode. Easy driver. Averaging 11.2 MPG. So far, it’s a joke. Any suggestions?

Just hit 500 miles and going in for oil change. I have avg. 18.6 mpg on 400 city miles and 100 highway. I have stayed in normal mode and admittedly driven like I have an egg under accelerator! No way will I be able drive like this in the future but it is all part of engine break-in.

Why oil change at 500 mi? Is that typical for new cars? It’s been awhile…

Why oil change at 500 mi? Is that typical for new cars? It’s been awhile…
I was an engine builder for 50 years. Race engines with break-in oil was changed at 100 miles, while passenger motors at 500 miles due to potential contaminates in engine. I will also be changing the GX motor oil every 5000 miles. I do not professionally agree with 10k oil change interval. As a side note, your driving conditions dictate oil change frequency.

Toyota has a recall on this specific GX motor for bearing failure due to possible contaminates during engine assembly. (22-23 tundra) Toyota has not identified the 24 GX as a problem. Hopefully this problem was resolved before the release of the new GX. The July time frame was mentioned as a release date for info on subject.

I was an engine builder for 50 years. Race engines with break-in oil was changed at 100 miles, while passenger motors at 500 miles due to potential contaminates in engine. I will also be changing the GX motor oil every 5000 miles. I do not professionally agree with 10k oil change interval. As a side note, your driving conditions dictate oil change frequency.

Toyota has a recall on this specific GX motor for bearing failure due to possible contaminates during engine assembly. (22-23 tundra) Toyota has not identified the 24 GX as a problem. Hopefully this problem was resolved before the release of the new GX. The July time frame was mentioned as a release date for info on subject.
The CarCareNut (Toyota/Lexus mechanic on YouTube) has a video where he discusses the recall. He pointed out in that video that Toyota superseded the part number for the short block and partial engine assembly (long block) for the recalled Tunda/LX with the old part number ending in January 2024. Also, every component of the partial engine assembly (cams, crank, pistons, cylinder head, valve cover, etc.) has the exact same part number. Make of that what you will, but it's plausible that Toyota's claim of machining debris is correct and they've fixed the problem in all engines that were build on or after February of 2024.

As for oil changes, I agree with you and will be changing my oil and filter in my GX (when I get it - it'll probably be the end of this year) when I get to 500 miles. I'll probably do it again at 2,000 miles and then 5,000 miles and every 5,000 miles from there on out.

The CarCareNut (Toyota/Lexus mechanic on YouTube) has a video where he discusses the recall. He pointed out in that video that Toyota superseded the part number for the short block and partial engine assembly (long block) for the recalled Tunda/LX with the old part number ending in January 2024. Also, every component of the partial engine assembly (cams, crank, pistons, cylinder head, valve cover, etc.) has the exact same part number. Make of that what you will, but it's plausible that Toyota's claim of machining debris is correct and they've fixed the problem in all engines that were build on or after February of 2024.

As for oil changes, I agree with you and will be changing my oil and filter in my GX (when I get it - it'll probably be the end of this year) when I get to 500 miles. I'll probably do it again at 2,000 miles and then 5,000 miles and every 5,000 miles from there on out.
Thanks for reminding me about the CarCar Nut. I find him very informative and knowledgeable when he speaks. I agree about changing oil/filter at 1000-2000 also. I have found particles in that second "quick" change.

Reactions: JPE
Thanks for reminding me about the CarCar Nut. I find him very informative and knowledgeable when he speaks. I agree about changing oil/filter at 1000-2000 also. I have found particles in that second "quick" change.
Yeah, the 2nd quick oil change is more of a "why not" in my book. Like you said, you can find a very small number of particles. But even if you don't, oil and filters are cheap compared to a new engine. Especially if you want your engine to last a couple hundred thousand miles.

Yeah, the 2nd quick oil change is more of a "why not" in my book. Like you said, you can find a very small number of particles. But even if you don't, oil and filters are cheap compared to a new engine. Especially if you want your engine to last a couple hundred thousand miles.
Agree today’s mpg 17.2

Reactions: JPE

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Comfort

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Normal

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Sport S+