Out with the Wrangler, in with the GX 550!

winojoe916

Jun 18, 2024
Sacramento, CA
About to place an order for a GX 550 Overtrail

Been a loyal Jeep Wrangler owner, but just not working any more for me. I'm ditching my 2024 Jeep Rubicon 4xe for the GX (taking a huge depreciation hit). Super excited, but also a little nervous about losing some of the capability I'm used to. What I'm not going to miss is check engine lights while out in the woods or remote in some desert.

I plan to use the GX to do extensive touring of the west coast. I'm going to build it up a little, planning on a 2" lift with 35" tires. I'm also adding a Roof top tent, camp kitchen, on board compressor, etc.

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to pay the extra money for the Overtrail +, looks like bells and whistles I don't really care about.

Right now I'm researching tires and rims. I want to keep the tires/wheels underneath the wheel arches as much as possible. I'm also curious about possible locations to mount an ARB twin compressor.

Looking forward to my new purchase and being part of the community

Joe

Been a loyal Jeep Wrangler owner, but just not working any more for me. I'm ditching my 2024 Jeep Rubicon 4xe for the GX (taking a huge depreciation hit). Super excited, but also a little nervous about losing some of the capability I'm used to. What I'm not going to miss is check engine lights while out in the woods or remote in some desert.

I plan to use the GX to do extensive touring of the west coast. I'm going to build it up a little, planning on a 2" lift with 35" tires. I'm also adding a Roof top tent, camp kitchen, on board compressor, etc.

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to pay the extra money for the Overtrail +, looks like bells and whistles I don't really care about.

Right now I'm researching tires and rims. I want to keep the tires/wheels underneath the wheel arches as much as possible. I'm also curious about possible locations to mount an ARB twin compressor.

Joe
Welcome to the forum.

Joe
The arb compressor would go driver side because of the weight you’re putting on the roof you want little heaviest suspension

Welcome to the wait.. I mean club Joe. We're on our 3rd JKU fully tricked out (for real function, not a mall crawler with fuel wheels and ducks on the dash). Love our Jeep and love our '22 Power Wagon even more with the RTT on the Diamondback but wanted add to the fleet with something in between the two that's fully capable, MAYBE a little better on gas, and also nice/classy enough to be my wifes daily driver. Didn't want to buy a Defender just to have it in the shop or catch on fire just sitting in the driveway, so here we are buying our first Lexus. If I could give you any advice as someone that likes to offroad/overland and has a built some Jeeps/trucks, I'd get your GX set up with the tent before you go the route of lift and 35's just to see how this suspension handles the weight up that high. Even with my Power Wagon and full Thuren suspension (springs, tuned shocks, front and rear trackbard, Hellwig rear sway bar, and rear bags just for good measure) I can still tell the difference when my RTT is on the truck vs not when it comes to anything off the beaten path and my tent kinda low (sitting flush with the cab roof going down the trail). Not adding wheel offset, and raising your center of gravity 3-4" with tires and lift could get a little wonky on the KDSS and stability. That's my thoughts and our current plan at least. To each their own though and we can all learn a thing or two from others so please don't take my 2 cents the wrong way.

I also completely agree the only real valuable upgrade in the OT+ is memory seats. I'm not even excited about the dang "cool box" we are stuck with in ours but it matched all our other wants and was in the second allocation for our dealership so we jumped on it. Too bad it's been sitting in Long Beach since 5/13 and no clue on when we will actually get it.

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 6 75.0%
Back