Cracked Windshield (non impact) < 500 mi

TexLex

Feb 13, 2024
Media
Texas
Got in the GX last night and saw a crack in my windshield in the center at the bottom. It was behind the wipers, not from an impact.

Anyone else with this issue?

I reached out to the dealer, waiting to hear back.

Nothing done to it. The dealer claims it was an object striking it, but there is no evidence of that.

What’s the going rate for getting the windshield film?

I never buy extra warranties for new vehicles, but did buy the windshield warranty product for the my GX. The "rake" on these 550's is pretty vertical and vulnerable to rocks. It cost 1250 (4 year/50k miles), but it's through Lexus and done by Lexus, and they replace with OEM windshield, which many ins. companies won't due (think safelite). And you won't have to make a claim on auto insurance, which is huge.

What’s the going rate for getting the windshield film?
I never buy extra warranties for new vehicles, but did buy the windshield warranty product for the my GX. The "rake" on these 550's is pretty vertical and vulnerable to rocks. It cost 1250 (4 year/50k miles), but it's through Lexus and done by Lexus, and they replace with OEM windshield, which many ins. companies won't due (think safelite). And you won't have to make a claim on auto insurance, which is huge.
I did the exact same thing as I know it costs $2K+ to replace with OEM glass and with the near vertical rake the likelihood of a rock chip breaking the glass over the next 4-5 years was high enough to justify the warranty.

As did I, but I think you get 2 replacements in 4 years. I don’t want to use 1 in the first 500 miles!

You guys just wasted your money. Your auto policy covers it under comprehensive and 0 deductible due to state law. Your insurance will not.go up for comprehensive
Must be blissful to be so arrogant and so ignorant. Only 3 states have that law and only 5 others have it as a required optional coverage.

It's your money. My state doesn't require to cover windshield, how lever progressive replaced our windshield with 0 deductible.

Do your freaking research before you call people ignorant,

Must be blissful to be so arrogant and so ignorant.l!

It's your money. My state doesn't require to cover windshield, how lever progressive replaced our windshield with 0 deductible.

Do your freaking research before you call people ignorant,

Must be blissful to be so arrogant and so ignorant.l!
Haha Dumb ass, you literally said state law requires it, which in the vast majority of jurisdictions it does not. Now you are saying state law doesn't require it. (You know people can see your prior posts, right?)

YOU clearly did not do your homework and were wrong.

You made yourself look like an ass twice now. You should just let it go and move along.

Dumb ass is mad cause you just wasted your money hahaha haha.

Be mad more!!

You are the one who started calling people ignorant.

Be mad more, I love it

I am getting my car wrapped right now and the shop didn't suggest the film over the windshield due to it would need to be replaced annually. That film can't last long because of wipers, etc.

As for insurance, MY insurance (USAA) covers the glass replacement, but not the expensive part....having to re-sync with the heads up and sensors that touch the glass. On my last car it was about $1250 for that dealership service.

Also, be nice people. 😀

I'm just trying help people out that they can use your own insurance but texlex calling people ignorant.
Lying to people about things you know nothing about and telling them to not get an insurance that would save them about $4k is not helping people.

Lying to people about things you know nothing about and telling them to not get an insurance that would save them about $4k is not helping people.
Now accusing me of lying, lol what else are you going to accuse me of? Being gay since I drive a lexus?

Be mad more keyboard warrior.

1723052286789.png

Insurance broker here…. Not to jump in the middle of texlex and gvan’s argument, but states may or may not have laws with glass coverage, but its the insurance companies that offer the coverage, and it differs for every carrier. Most of the carriers i represent offer glass coverage option for extra premium. Some don’t offer it (ie. state farm in TN), but you can still get glass coverage if you drive comp deductible to $0.

Long story, it depends on whether your carrier offers it or not.

Also some carriers allow for OEM parts if you buy that coverage… just talk to your agent to see if you can acquire these coverages

Finally, if the crack/chip is less than the size of a quarter and not in line of sight of driver, then you can have it repaired for less than $50 and its supposed to be as strong as original.

Last edited:
Insurance broker here…. Not to jump in the middle of texlex and gvan’s argument, but states may or may not have laws with glass coverage, but its the insurance companies that offer the coverage, and it differs for every carrier. Most of the carriers i represent offer glass coverage option for extra premium. Some don’t offer it (ie. state farm in TN), but you can still get glass coverage if you drive comp deductible to $0.

Long story, it depends on whether your carrier offers it or not
Thank you, this is how you are suppose respond if I was wrong, unlike the keyboard warrior who is having a tamper tantrum

I did the exact same thing as I know it costs $2K+ to replace with OEM glass and with the near vertical rake the likelihood of a rock chip breaking the glass over the next 4-5 years was high enough to justify the warranty.
Does the replacement have to be done by a Lexus dealer? My closest one's 4 hrs away, so that would rule that out.

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 6 75.0%
Back