GX550 Overtrail Vibration

Just got my OT+ yesterday. I am thinking I may have the same issue. Coming from a 2010 4runner with Icon stage 2 lift with BFG 285/70/17 C rated. The 4runner is obviously not as "smooth" but it doesn't shake like the GX does. Kind of feels like you are driving on a very mild washboard dirt road. Reported the issue today. Will report back.
Sorry to hear that. This whole thing is unbelievable to me. Some people saying their GX is smooth as silk, others with undriveable vibrations. Some dealers saying it's normal, others apparently not. I'm inclined to wait out a firm resolution before I get into one of these.

My overtrail plus landed at the port yesterday and was immediately put on quality hold. Not sure if it has anything to do with this, or some damage coming over or just a regular check. Hopefully we will find out soon!

My overtrail plus landed at the port yesterday and was immediately put on quality hold. Not sure if it has anything to do with this, or some damage coming over or just a regular check. Hopefully we will find out soon!
My OT+ has the issue and the dealer master tech seemed like he was quoting off a prepared statement that this how “the trim rides“
(Coming off a Bronco on much beefier ATs and a 2012 4Runner on Toyo AT3s I find that hard to believe)

Go back earlier in this thread and you will see at least one dealer has brought this to the attention of Lexus who may be working on a solution. They are currently willing to admit the front brake pads (squealing) need to be replaced and will ship those at some point. I recommend getting your truck into the dealer to note whatever issues you are experiencing even if there is currently no fix. Apparently they are fixing the passenger massage issue (tube falls out) at the port.

We heard back from the service manager today. There is anther OT with the same issues we’ve experienced. Forgive me for not knowing the proper terminology. There are 4 parts that work with the rotors and brakes/independent suspension that are faulty. They use the same 4 parts in the other 550’s, but the OT is the only model affected. Engineering has manufactured these 4 pieces in Japan, and were hoping to have them legally approved and shipped by today. They are saying now it will be next week. The fix will be replacing the rotors, brakes and the newly manufactured 4 parts.
UPDATE
A Lexus Field rep went to our dealer today to meet with the head of service. He verified the parts have been released, and are on their way via priority to the dealership. Latest they expect them to arrive is next week. Service also secured a voucher eliminating one month of payment for the inconvenience. They seem confident that this is the fix. I asked if this is still limited to the OT…he said the brakes on their Premium demo are now squealing, but no vibration issues.

Last edited:
Picked up our Overtrail + on Saturday and immediately after pulling out of the dealer's lot we noticed a vibration that was present. We originally thought it was the tires being unbalanced or maybe the alignment was off.

We just picked it back up from the service today after being there for two days and they do not have an answer. I went on a test drive with their master mechanic who did notice what we were feeling and agrees it seemed odd. The tech said wheel imbalance would occur and be noticeable at speeds around 55+. The vibration occurs from 5 mph upwards. But everything they checked shows that there shouldn't be an issue. They are thinking KDSS might be the blame or perhaps the offroad tires... They have opened up a ticket and we are currently waiting to hear back from Lexus.

Any other overtrail owners experience this?

Have had my OT + for a month now. No vibrations like I c posted here. Coming off a 2005 Sequoia LTD, loaded, and can say the GX is not as smooth, but I expected it to be a bit more road noticable, but have to say it is pretty smooth. What I have noticed tho, is for a week or so, about a week n ahalf ago, the brakes started squeaking only in reverse. Any time during the day morn, aftn or eve. I have not noticed it the last 3 days tho. In fact, even forgot about it till now. Will c if this is the end of that. One last issue, I have a roof rack and it is a howler at speeds 40 mph +. Thinking to take off cross bars and see if that makes a diff and only use them when needed. Kind of disappointong since my '05 Sequoia LTD did not have this issue with the roof rack.

Well sounds like I’m in the same group that no one wants to be members of. My Gx OT+ has this same vibration issues. Similar story as many, it’s very noticeable at lower speeds 20-30 MPH. Feels like a lot of vibration in the seat. Much less noticeable at higher speeds. Sounds like it’s not even worth brining in as they won’t be able to do much. I’ve checked alignment and balance, both in good shape. I think the answer is yes, but has anyone swapped wheels and tires? Assuming vibration is still present?

Have had my OT + for a month now. No vibrations like I c posted here. Coming off a 2005 Sequoia LTD, loaded, and can say the GX is not as smooth, but I expected it to be a bit more road noticable, but have to say it is pretty smooth. What I have noticed tho, is for a week or so, about a week n ahalf ago, the brakes started squeaking only in reverse. Any time during the day morn, aftn or eve. I have not noticed it the last 3 days tho. In fact, even forgot about it till now. Will c if this is the end of that. One last issue, I have a roof rack and it is a howler at speeds 40 mph +. Thinking to take off cross bars and see if that makes a diff and only use them when needed. Kind of disappointong since my '05 Sequoia LTD did not have this issue with the roof rack.
Try peeling off the trim on the front edge of the rack. There was another post about this. I tried it and the noise moved from being bad at 40+ to 55+. YMMV

So, I have been having the same vibration issue with my OT like many of you including some warped-rotor like symptoms. I noticed this during my test drive before delivery but also drove another OT+ and Prem+ back to back. All had the same issue, surprisingly the Prem+ was even more pronounced. I have been following this thread closely and waiting on updates from "sroberts" hoping his dealer found the right fix (Thanks, sroberts!!)

Anyways, I noticed that this behavior is not consistent. Some days, it is very smooth with no vibration and other days very pronounced even on the same roads. Did anyone notice the same?

So, I have been having the same vibration issue with my OT like many of you including some warped-rotor like symptoms. I noticed this during my test drive before delivery but also drove another OT+ and Prem+ back to back. All had the same issue, surprisingly the Prem+ was even more pronounced. I have been following this thread closely and waiting on updates from "sroberts" hoping his dealer found the right fix (Thanks, sroberts!!)

Anyways, I noticed that this behavior is not consistent. Some days, it is very smooth with no vibration and other days very pronounced even on the same roads. Did anyone notice the same?
Yes - that is exactly what I am experiencing.

This is unfortunate for those who haven’t taken delivery yet as the vibration may not present itself as much during a test drive. This is rapidly becoming the biggest “new platform” issue for the GX. I hope Lexus gets it solved right quick like.

Gulp!! My dealer just phoned. My OT showed up early! Hope this thing doesn’t have speed wobble:ROFLMAO:
IMG_0952.jpeg

Yes, somewhat intermittent. Still trying to determine if it correlates to drive modes, but I don't think it does. Also, I ended up cancelling my dealer appointment today because I want to further evaluate mine. Need to drive it more, as I have only had it for 3 days, and it seems like a lot of the posters here have had more time than that to evaluate.

Yes, somewhat intermittent. Still trying to determine if it correlates to drive modes, but I don't think it does. Also, I ended up cancelling my dealer appointment today because I want to further evaluate mine. Need to drive it more, as I have only had it for 3 days, and it seems like a lot of the posters here have had more time than that to evaluate.

Makes sense on exploring the truck more. I have a little over 1000 miles on it now. I haven't gone back to the dealer yet. I am hoping to go back to them with some info or proven fixes.

This morning, the vibration is back, same route and some road conditions. In my case, I don't think the drive modes make a difference. I have experimented with this for a bit.

Makes sense on exploring the truck more. I have a little over 1000 miles on it now. I haven't gone back to the dealer yet. I am hoping to go back to them with some info or proven fixes.

This morning, the vibration is back, same route and some road conditions. In my case, I don't think the drive modes make a difference. I have experimented with this for a bit.
All good info! Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I returned to my dealer yesterday with the stock wheels and tires. Again, and after 4hrs of sitting at the dealer, they slapped me with the ole “this is a normal characteristic of this vehicle”, its very hard to believe, but unfortunately thats where I’m at. Its definitely not a dealbreaker, as I do love the vehicle, but Im either going to have to live with it, hope they find a fix or sell it. Its just unfortunate that some dealers are more willing to work with others and some are not. And I can only speak for myself, but its 100% not wheels and tires, same exact vibration. Good luck all, keep me us updated!

At just under 4k miles I could no longer take the vibration and sold my 24 GX OT+. Hard to believe that a vehicle with so much engineering behind it just cannot deliver a vibration free ride. I have daily drove a couple 200 LCs and currently have a newer Bronco, Yukon XL and an F250.
All vehicles had a much better ride then the 24OT. You can bash me about what to expect from a body on frame SUV but I have been a dedicated Toyota fan for years and have owned my 1980FJ40 for 27 years and have mixed in a few Fj60s along the way.
Too bad Toyota missed the boat on this one. I wanted to get out of the GX550 before the word got out about the poor ride and vibration issues along with a few other annoying attributes. I did not like the A/C sound every 30 seconds nor the fluttering hood and the wind noise from the rack crossbars. The look of the truck is the best Toyota has ever put out but as they say looks are not everything.

I’ve never had this kind of issue with a vehicle before, but I was wondering how long it would take for Lexus to issue a recall or TSB? Is this something that takes a while, or is it something that they will try to repair as quick as possible?

Didn't read through the entire thread so not sure if this has been suggested yet, but if we're lucky enough, would someone with a non-vibrating GX be willing to meet up with someone with a vibrating GX and drive them back to back? Then maybe take those two vehicles to the dealership to show them the difference? Probably wishful thinking as the number of GXs out in the wild are pretty small at the moment, but thought I'd throw it out there.

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 10 66.7%
Back