GX550 Overtrail Vibration

I checked in with SRoberts over the weekend and said their GX OT is still driving great following the brakes replacement. My dealer refuses to tell me if Lexus is actually planning a recall / brake replacement. Have spoken with a few different people. This morning I called again and spoke with a sales manager (as I was unsure of who to go to considering the head service manager will not respond to me about this). The sales manager said "we have been selling 40+ of these every month and nobody has complained about theirs and nothing has been said about any kind of recall or brakes issue." He said he is going to get in touch with Lexus corporate management and "see if I can find out anything."

As a side note, I also told him that I purchased a new Bronco Sport for my daughter last year and have received far superior customer service from her Ford dealership than what I have experienced thus far with Lexus.

Getting close to being done with this vehicle and Toyota in general. I own a small business and don't have the time to keep investing into this.

I've only learned, so far, that sroberts' dealer is probably in AL. If someone could post the dealer's name/location, it would count for a lot in getting this fixed. For some, it's easy enough to take a fix trip.

I checked in with SRoberts over the weekend and said their GX OT is still driving great following the brakes replacement. My dealer refuses to tell me if Lexus is actually planning a recall / brake replacement. Have spoken with a few different people. This morning I called again and spoke with a sales manager (as I was unsure of who to go to considering the head service manager will not respond to me about this). The sales manager said "we have been selling 40+ of these every month and nobody has complained about theirs and nothing has been said about any kind of recall or brakes issue." He said he is going to get in touch with Lexus corporate management and "see if I can find out anything."

As a side note, I also told him that I purchased a new Bronco Sport for my daughter last year and have received far superior customer service from her Ford dealership than what I have experienced thus far with Lexus.

Getting close to being done with this vehicle and Toyota in general. I own a small business and don't have the time to keep investing into this.
I had a first year Bronco and I would agree that my Ford dealer and Ford corporate were more proactive in fixing the first year model issues than Lexus. Lexus has very polite case managers who seemingly do nothing but try to placate you without any interaction with engineers, mechanics or corporate.

Reactions: MJE

You probably saw my post before, but my service manager told me that it is a known issue and that Lexus will be replacing the brakes on all GX's that have brake noise, including pads, shims, and rotors. He said he doesn't have that in writing from Lexus, but he said it is going to happen. Supposed to hear back today or tomorrow about the case I opened with corporate. In my case, I reported both the brake noise issue and the shutter/vibration. My brake noise is becoming more frequent now. Actually did it last night in drive, not just reverse.

You probably saw my post before, but my service manager told me that it is a known issue and that Lexus will be replacing the brakes on all GX's that have brake noise, including pads, shims, and rotors. He said he doesn't have that in writing from Lexus, but he said it is going to happen. Supposed to hear back today or tomorrow about the case I opened with corporate. In my case, I reported both the brake noise issue and the shutter/vibration. My brake noise is becoming more frequent now. Actually did it last night in drive, not just reverse.

Please keep us posted. I heard the same from my dealer. My OT has been at the dealer for over two weeks. It was scheduled to get the new parts but Lexus cancelled the delivery after approval because the parts are not available and are on "backorder." So they are releasing the car back to me since there is no timeline.

Funny, considering mine said they’ve never heard of any brake squeal/vibration issues

Yes I did and I thank you for sharing that. The weird thing is, my dealer WILL NOT admit to me that this is happening. ONe guy did say it was happening, but he said it in a way you would think we were doing a drug deal. He spoke low about it and when I ask when to expect the brakes coming in, zero response or reply. I also said I have been dealing with this issue, so if the brakes are actually being replaced, can I be moved to the "front of the line" since I have been dealing with this issue since May. No response.

If I were Lexus/Toyota I wouldn’t be mucking around and slow playing anything to do with faulty brakes. This could get outta hand real quick considering the safety implications.
I think this is why they are being so weird about this. They told me the place that makes the brakes can only produce 10 sets per day. They have thousands to replace. They don't want to put it out there and have 5,000 angry GX owners wanting their brakes done now.

I think this is why they are being so weird about this. They told me the place that makes the brakes can only produce 10 sets per day. They have thousands to replace. They don't want to put it out there and have 5,000 angry GX owners wanting their brakes done now.
Wow. 10 sets a day?! I have no idea what is considered average number here but this seems too low to me. If so, it may be in-house for the diagnosis team until they approve something and manufacture it through the normal mainstream process.

Picked up my Overtrail (Nori) yesterday and drove it 220 miles home to Vermont. Mix of Interstate and back roads. No discernible hood flutter or vibration (and I am Type A on steroids, especially after following this Forum!). Been driving my wife’s Land Cruiser First Edition so it was fun to compare the GX’s handling, braking and comfort with the LC. Both are excellent trucks, with minor, to-be-expected, quirks. Wish everyone a safe and happy journey.

Attachments

• IMG_1836.jpeg
    IMG_1836.jpeg
    340.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1837.jpeg
    IMG_1837.jpeg
    233.6 KB · Views: 25
Picked up my Overtrail (Nori) yesterday and drove it 220 miles home to Vermont. Mix of Interstate and back roads. No discernible hood flutter or vibration (and I am Type A on steroids, especially after following this Forum!). Been driving my wife’s Land Cruiser First Edition so it was fun to compare the GX’s handling, braking and comfort with the LC. Both are excellent trucks, with minor, to-be-expected, quirks. Wish everyone a safe and happy journey.
I believe any of the new Overtrails being sold will have the brakes fixed prior to them being delivered to the customer. I feel like this is happening at the ports or possibly during assembly now as it's been known for a while. COngrats on your new ride. I do not like green cars at all. Yet this nori color is fantastic and I would absolutely drive that color myself now that I have seen it in person a few times. Great choice.

I believe any of the new Overtrails being sold will have the brakes fixed prior to them being delivered to the customer. I feel like this is happening at the ports or possibly during assembly now as it's been known for a while. COngrats on your new ride. I do not like green cars at all. Yet this nori color is fantastic and I would absolutely drive that color myself now that I have seen it in person a few times. Great choice.
Funny you say that. My OT got placed on a 77-day ‘Quality Control Hold’ but then showed up a week later. No way they could have fixed it in that amount of time.

Well I guess it's time to call Lexus NA. Called the dealer Wednesday morning and spoke with sales manager, as I have not spoken to one person in management about my issues (aside from copying the service manager on my most recent emails and received zero response). Sales manager apologized for my experiences, said he would look into it and then call me back that afternoon. That was 48 hours ago. Called this morning, asked if the same sales manager was available, guy said yet let me get you to him. He picks up the phone, then slams the receiver down to hang up on me.

I am not being rude or belligerent whatsoever. In fact I have been over the top laid back and nice. Yet nobody wants to go to bat for me. So I guess this is the part of the story where I call Lexus NA.

Funny you say that. My OT got placed on a 77-day ‘Quality Control Hold’ but then showed up a week later. No way they could have fixed it in that amount of time.
Just curious, how long do you think it would take to replace the break assembly? My guess is a day or less if they have the parts.

Just curious, how long do you think it would take to replace the break assembly? My guess is a day or less if they have the parts.
Not sure, especially if they’re only making 10 ass./day as somebody mentioned. I’m heading to the dealer today to speak with the Tech Supervisor to get some feedback/insight into my ride quality & brake squeal etc.

Well I guess it's time to call Lexus NA. Called the dealer Wednesday morning and spoke with sales manager, as I have not spoken to one person in management about my issues (aside from copying the service manager on my most recent emails and received zero response). Sales manager apologized for my experiences, said he would look into it and then call me back that afternoon. That was 48 hours ago. Called this morning, asked if the same sales manager was available, guy said yet let me get you to him. He picks up the phone, then slams the receiver down to hang up on me.

I am not being rude or belligerent whatsoever. In fact I have been over the top laid back and nice. Yet nobody wants to go to bat for me. So I guess this is the part of the story where I call Lexus NA.
Is it possible it was an accidental hang up? Regardless, definitely call Lexus. The vehicle issues need to be reported. Toyota cannot help if there aren't enough reports of it. As a side note, on the Fecebook group this morning, there are a large number

30 minutes per wheel with proper lift, air tools and pressure bleeder. I’ve done several complete rotor rebuilds which are far more involved. I have no idea what the work bay setup looks like at the average “port” facility though.

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 6 75.0%
Back