Mark Levinson 21-speaker audio sounds terrible on the GX 550 Luxury +

Anyone having issues with their ML. After volume at 45, the bass & mods cut out. Then slowly come back in & then out again. Sounds like an AM radio when this occurs. This is on my Lux+

There appears to be multiple subs all over the vehicle (all doors including back hatch, presumably somewhere in the dash, etc....) instead of one main one. Which partially explains Lexus' claim of good sound no matter where you're sitting.
I don’t think there are any true subs, they are just pushing the base through mid range speakers which is why the bass sounds so bad.

I finally took delivery today, on an OT+ w/ the ML, and I gotta say I’m glad I took the negative reports with a grain of salt because I’m thrilled with how it sounds out of the gate. Not trying to prove anyone wrong or dispute opinions, but wanted to throw out a different viewpoint to help folks like me who were hearing folks say it sounded poor and considered if I was making a mistake. I’d gladly pay the 1,200 again for this upgrade. For reference, I’m an early 40’s dude who lives and breathes music, have nice sound setups at home, I play guitar and am in a band, and have a small recording setup at home…I have a discerning ear, listen to all genres going from blues to hip hop in the same breadth. Ran this through some of my favorite tracks today without changing any settings yet, and was thoroughly pleased…smiles ear to ear. Just FWIW, to each their own.

I’ll keep a lookout for this bass cutout issue though.

I just realized that if I fade conpletely to the rear mid song, there is zero bass. Not sure if it’s a software or hardware issue, but very odd indeed. Can anyone else test this and see if you get similar results?

I just realized that if I fade conpletely to the rear mid song, there is zero bass. Not sure if it’s a software or hardware issue, but very odd indeed. Can anyone else test this and see if you get similar results?
I’m in the camp of the ML system is only “average”. Definitely doesn’t live up to the marketing or price tag. It’s just OK.
Im in a Lux+, the tuning is centered in front, middle of dash. If faded backwards all quality is lost (including sitting in 2nd row).
I love the vehicle but the ML system is definitely top-3 most disappointing features.

I never knew this but.. New speakers need about thirty days to "break in". Loosen up. Become more flexible...

Perhaps you will like it better in a couple of months

The ML "Sound Tuning" setting in my Lux+ sounds exactly the same when Centered and Front Centered. I've tried using multiple music sources when comparing Center vs Front Center setting - there is no difference. Can anyone explain this? Seems there is a legitimate quality concern with this sound system. Hoping there is a fix.
IMG_0652.jpegIMG_0654.jpeg

I never knew this but.. New speakers need about thirty days to "break in". Loosen up. Become more flexible...

Perhaps you will like it better in a couple of months
Felt like mine definitely went through a break in and sound great now. Also sources matter, I listen through Tidal premium. XM radio sounds ok, but thats expected due to the compression

The ML "Sound Tuning" setting in my Lux+ sounds exactly the same when Centered and Front Centered. I've tried using multiple music sources when comparing Center vs Front Center setting - there is no difference. Can anyone explain this? Seems there is a legitimate quality concern with this sound system. Hoping there is a fix.
View attachment 1998View attachment 1999
Do you have surround sound turned off?

Do you have surround sound turned off?
I tried it with Surround on and off, no difference. Also worth noting, when the sound is faded to the rear, it is probably 90% depleted. I’ve got a dealer service appt next Fri and will share feedback if meaningful.

I’ve had my GX Lux + for a week and I’ve been happy with the ML so far. I think it depends on what you like. I agree it’s not a lot of deep bass if that’s what you are into.

I know the break in period has been mentioned multiple times here but what I haven’t seen is if there is any recommendations for what’s the best sound tuning configuration to keep it on during the break in period (if that even matters).

Not a bass head, so I’m enjoying the clarity, mid bass of the ML so far. I’m coming from a bose sound system on my Macan and that sucked. Prior to that I had the step below burmeister on my gls and I think that sounded on par with the ML. I dialed treble and bass up one step on the ML so far. I listen to mostly pop/rnb/vocals.

I think the system is really bad, my tesla is way better, but Mark Levinson hasn't really been associated with quality for..... a decade now?

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Comfort

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Normal

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)