Real World Reviews

I have a lux + nebula gray/ gray interior. Have driven 300 miles, like the ride and power.

Tech is taking some time to get used to. Sound system is nice.
Gas mileage avg around 17 mpg.

Not a fan of the 22” wheels, would have preferred the 20”.

Cool box in center console is nice unfortunately limited storage areas up front.

Third row up, not much cargo space.

Like the HUD.

I have a lux + nebula gray/ gray interior. Have driven 300 miles, like the ride and power.

Tech is taking some time to get used to. Sound system is nice.
Gas mileage avg around 17 mpg.

Not a fan of the 22” wheels, would have preferred the 20”.

Cool box in center console is nice unfortunately limited storage areas up front.

Third row up, not much cargo space.

Like the HUD.

Maybe too bling, I’m kind of old fashioned, I think 20’s would look better.

There are very few tires in our size if thinking about replacement in the future. OEM tires are not usually long wearing.

My plan in to go to a 275/50R-22 lots of tires available in that size , only about a inch larger in circumference.

Any real world feedback on the highs and lows of the new GX from everyday driving? Hate reading the press reviews who get to drive the vehicle for a few hours and may have some inherent biases.
Take my review w a grain of salt because my Luxury+ was a lemon with suspension chattering issues that made the smoothest of roads sickening to drive (21 days in the shop and they couldn’t fix it so they gave me a great deal on a Sequoia instead). Here’s my pros and cons:

1. The GX looks naked without sidesteps or rock rails and the Luxury+ power running boards are too low, slow and skinny to be functional.
2. The Mark Levinson sound system is not worth the upgrade. It is clear, but if you’re looking for something that thumps, it’s not it.
3. The lack of leather on dash makes the car look overly plasticy. All luxury high end cars have contrast stitched leather in a lot of these areas and the lack of it makes it look cheap. I definitely think the two tone leather (I had saddle tan) makes the vehicle look more high end.
4. Semi-aniline leather is worth it, and the tricked out pano roof is great.
5. The 22” wheels are a mistake. The GX is supposed to be a great off road vehicle, and 22s make sure you never go off road. If the Luxury versions are for people who stay on pavement, then they shouldn’t have to endure the harshness of the 22s.
6. Technology and amenities are awesome.
7. Power is more than enough, but getting 13-15 mpgs is sad unless you are actually buying it for towing capacity and accept the downside.
8. Third row is great for a midsize vehicle. The intent is for local trips with a few extra kids/people in the car. Most people appreciate that you can’t take 6-7 people on a road trip bc lack of storage behind the row.
9. The paint and colors on these GXs are awesome. I’ve seen all but the blue in person and they are gorgeous. Can’t pick a bad color.
10. The blacked out roof of the Overtrail is absolutely worth the wait/upcharge. I was immediately jealous pulling out of the lot in my Incognito Luxury Plus as I drove by an Incognito Overtrail Plus with black roof.

If I had to order one again, I’d order a regular Overtrail. If I absolutely needed a third row, I’d order the regular Luxury and immediately swap out the wheels and tires, or go with a two tone Premium Plus and get wheels and tires that do a better job filling those wheel wells. I’d also get the roof wrapped black in any Premium or Luxury.

Last edited:
Take my review w a grain of salt because my Luxury+ was a lemon with suspension chattering issues that made the smoothest of roads sickening to drive (21 days in the shop and they couldn’t fix it so they gave me a great deal on a Sequoia instead). Here’s my pros and cons:

1. The GX looks naked without sidesteps or rock rails and the Luxury+ power running boards are too low, slow and skinny to be functional.
2. The Mark Levinson sound system is not worth the upgrade. It is clear, but if you’re looking for something that thumps, it’s not it.
3. The lack of leather on dash makes the car look overly plasticy. All luxury high end cars have contrast stitched leather in a lot of these areas and the lack of it makes it look cheap. I definitely think the two tone leather (I had saddle tan) makes the vehicle look more high end.
5. The 22” wheels are a mistake. The GX is supposed to be a great off road vehicle, and 22s make sure you never go off road. If the Luxury versions are for people who stay on pavement, then they shouldn’t have to endure the harshness of the 22s.
7. Power is more than enough, but getting 13-15 mpgs is sad unless you are actually buying it for towing capacity and accept the downside.
8. Third row is great for a midsize vehicle. The intent is for local trips with a few extra kids/people in the car. Most people appreciate that you can’t take 6-7 people on a road trip bc lack of storage behind the row.
9. The paint and colors on these GXs are awesome. I’ve seen all but the blue in person and they are gorgeous. Can’t pick a bad color.
10. The blacked out roof of the Overtrail is absolutely worth the wait/upcharge. I was immediately jealous pulling out of the lot in my Incognito Luxury Plus as I drove by an Incognito Overtrail Plus with black roof.

If I had to order one again, I’d order a regular Overtrail. If I absolutely needed a third row, I’d order the regular Luxury and immediately swap out the wheels and tires, or go with a two tone Premium Plus and get wheels and tires that do a better job filling those wheel wells. I’d also get the roof wrapped black in any Premium or Luxury.
A nice over all review

Premium Plus, Caviar, black/grey interior, HUD, traffic jam control, sun roof. Purchased May 3rd, 1300 miles. I did not test drive prior to purchasing since I owned 5 previous GX’s (never had an issue) I figured it would be reliable. The ride is firm and smooth, tracks straight and gives you confidence in the rain. Great view of the road with the lower hood design. The technology/safety is advanced (equal to a new BMW X5 50e). Love the addition of Apple Car Play but the base interface is vastly superior to previous GX’s. The engine’s performance mated to the direct shift 10 speed transmission is fantastic. Three performance choices and while in sport mode you have outstanding accelerator performance. Feels much more roomier than the last model and I can definitely fit more behind the second row. Back seat room is also comfortable. Climate control is also better than the last model and the seat cooler is automatically set to your temp setting.
I could not be happier, I love driving my new GX and my personal preference was the 20 inch wheels. I did test drive the Defender, very similar however I waited and more than satisfied with my choice!

Last edited:

Who puts leather on the dash?
That sure wouldn't last long with the sun beating in on it.
And most cars that claim leather seats are only leather on the outside bolsters? The seating portion is vinyl.

And most cars that claim leather seats are only leather on the outside bolsters? The seating portion is vinyl.

My Range Rover has a leather dash. Most vehicles in this category offer extended leather as an option (X5, X7, GLE, GLS, Q5, Q7, Cayenne, etc.). It is much higher quality than plastic. And no, it's not vinyl.

Pretty much every car over $60k has contrast stitched leather featured on the dash. My Defenders 110s had it, my Sequoia Platinum has it. Heck, even GMC knows that it’s a minimum requirement in their Yukons. Not seeing it in my GX was almost shocking.

Had my Overtrail+ for a little over a month now and I love it. Put a little over 1200 miles on it now. I did some mild off roading, managed to get it up on two wheels just to get a feel for it and it was great. I come from driving wranglers almost my whole life. So used to running off road and the wrangler kinda wearing you out and beating you up a bit on the trail, this thing just seems to soak all that up and stupid easy to steer offroad.

My only complaint really is that if you have rock rails you really need mudflaps to help prevent rock chips on the lower part of the door. They also need to crank out some steel front and rear bumpers for it. I've dinged up the paint on mine a little by running over a small mesquite tree that was in the trail I was going down. You know brush grows up in trails and it's just going to happen right, so once I get some steelies on it and maybe a winch up front then I don't have any other mods planned at all. I'm not looking to go higher, all my jeeps had 33" tires on them and I was able to run all the trails I need to run when I go elk hunting in colorado.... and I know this thing is going to be a little bit of a belly dragger in my particular use case so because of that, I might add thick skids once/if I manage to tear up the originals.

Other than that no gripes or complaints and I now look forward to my daily commutes rather than getting @#$#@ off at all the road noise in the cabin. Anyways, hope that helps some.

All my ferraris have had leather on the dash

The ML system is really really really bad

However, the GX being well under 100k$, a lot of these problems are excusable

I would have preferred if Lexus offered a "obscene package" option for another 20k$ which added better quality leather / materials everywhere on the interior

The Mark Levinson knob is the cheapest feeling knob I've felt on an ML system ... 20 years of continuously downgrading the user experience

Peak was Nakamichi in 1994

Pretty much every car over $60k has contrast stitched leather featured on the dash. My Defenders 110s had it, my Sequoia Platinum has it. Heck, even GMC knows that it’s a minimum requirement in their Yukons. Not seeing it in my GX was almost shocking.
My eqs benz has pink contrast stitching on the (vegan?) grey leather dash, very very artistic!

Luxury plus owner here with 200+ miles and 1 week of driving and the game changer for me was taking it out of "comfort" mode and into "normal".

Comfort mode was making me car sick on the hills and bumpy roads around my house.

Had my Overtrail+ for a little over a month now and I love it. Put a little over 1200 miles on it now. I did some mild off roading, managed to get it up on two wheels just to get a feel for it and it was great. I come from driving wranglers almost my whole life. So used to running off road and the wrangler kinda wearing you out and beating you up a bit on the trail, this thing just seems to soak all that up and stupid easy to steer offroad.

My only complaint really is that if you have rock rails you really need mudflaps to help prevent rock chips on the lower part of the door. They also need to crank out some steel front and rear bumpers for it. I've dinged up the paint on mine a little by running over a small mesquite tree that was in the trail I was going down. You know brush grows up in trails and it's just going to happen right, so once I get some steelies on it and maybe a winch up front then I don't have any other mods planned at all. I'm not looking to go higher, all my jeeps had 33" tires on them and I was able to run all the trails I need to run when I go elk hunting in colorado.... and I know this thing is going to be a little bit of a belly dragger in my particular use case so because of that, I might add thick skids once/if I manage to tear up the originals.

Other than that no gripes or complaints and I now look forward to my daily commutes rather than getting @#$#@ off at all the road noise in the cabin. Anyways, hope that helps some.
Good feedback!

Dissent Off-Road is creating bumpers for the GX (just previewed their first set of LC bumpers today). I have them on my Sequoia and will be getting g them on the GX as well. They’re without a doubt the best available, but overkill for a lot of people.

Good feedback!

Dissent Off-Road is creating bumpers for the GX (just previewed their first set of LC bumpers today). I have them on my Sequoia and will be getting g them on the GX as well. They’re without a doubt the best available, but overkill for a lot of people.
What makes them overkill?

Premium + Just delivered July 5th. It's my wifes car. So far, great vehicle. We've been easing it in at just a couple hundred miles so haven't put the pedal down or put in sport mode yet. MPG looks pretty bad but hopefully improves after break in. Love the tech, seats are comfy, it's a comfortable car for me to drive and ride in at 6'1".

A few things I've noticed so far. 3rd row power seats are terribly slow going up and down. We have two boys so won't use a ton except with family in town or when she carpools other kids but seriously slow seats. Also, no car seat anchors in the 3rd row, which is probably ok with them just in booster seats but maybe a problem for a family of 5 or 6 wanting to keep a kid in a large car seat in the back. Still haven't figured out all the tech necessarily and a few things we're struggling with. Think we got the two keys matched up but my sound settings (such as increased base) aren't sticking. Have some questions about the mirrors folding down when in reverse. At first they did, now they don't unless i'm backing out of the garage. Not sure how to set them. Also, the seat memory settings don't seem to have a way to connect to each key? Anyone know how to make that work.

I'm sure i'll figure out a few more things later, but overall, we like the vehicle. it looks great and rides good. More come.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Comfort

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Normal

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)