Very soft hood

usuzukuri

Sep 13, 2024
US
I was at the dealer yesterday doing another test drive. Dealer called me said the car is ready, drove in and they said they made a mistake......

The demo vehicle definitely has the hood flutter issue. After test drive, I tried to press down on the center of the hood and noticed that it's super soft with lots of flexibility, more like plastic than metal. I did the same to other Lexus models like RX, TX and didn't see this problem. All the hoods on TX/RX are pretty solid.

Anyone observing this?

My hood is okay at hwy speeds. A little vibration.

I’ve noticed the sheet metal all around feels thin to me.

You can press on the doors in certain areas and get that soft feeling.

When I press on my Cayenne in the same areas it feels hard as a rock.

But, let’s be honest with ourselves…. We’re getting a little soft and not hard as a rock like we used to lol 😂

Thanks for the info. May I ask when did you received your GX? Hopefully they fixed in the later deliveries. Also, you mentioned 88mph, is that mean you only drove up to 88mph or observe flutter after 88mhz?

My hood is okay at hwy speeds. A little vibration.

I’ve noticed the sheet metal all around feels thin to me.

You can press on the doors in certain areas and get that soft feeling.

When I press on my Cayenne in the same areas it feels hard as a rock.

But, let’s be honest with ourselves…. We’re getting a little soft and not hard as a rock like we used to lol 😂
lol, I'm still hard as rock my friend....:D

Thanks for the info. May I ask when did you received your GX? Hopefully they fixed in the later deliveries. Also, you mentioned 88mph, is that mean you only drove up to 88mph or observe flutter after 88mhz?
The GX I test drove was delivered to the dealer in April 2024. That vehicle had no hood flutter when I drove it up to 75mph.

The vehicle I bought was built on 09/03/2024 and arrived at dealership on 10/08/2024.

I drove my vehicle up to 88mph. At 88mph there was no hood flutter.

My OT+ has not shown hood flutter up to 75 mph. I did do the pressure 'test' on the hood, and it definitely can be pushed down with what I consider light pressure. My wife's Toyota Highlander doesn't respond that way.

I've had mine since April and it shows flutter for sure - passengers wonder if the hood is latched it's so bad. You don't really notice it just driving in normal conditions, but when it's gusty or you're getting some buffeting from semis, you see it for sure. I just drove back to NW OH from Boston and it was especially windy - and the hood fluttered most of the way home.

There is a fix coming soon from Lexus on the flutter. According to my dealership and the case opened with Lexus for mine, they are likely replacing the hoods on ones impacted. Later '24 production vehicles have received an update already.

Sewell Lexus JUST called me to have my car come back in Friday to fix the hood flutter. It's about the adhesive that holds the hood to the supporting structure. They are repairing in their body shop since they have a fix now. I should have it back Saturday or Monday.

Sewell Lexus JUST called me to have my car come back in Friday to fix the hood flutter. It's about the adhesive that holds the hood to the supporting structure. They are repairing in their body shop since they have a fix now. I should have it back Saturday or Monday.
Nice. Please keep us updated on the fix and if it resolves the issue. Thanks!

Cool....I don't want a replacement hood as I have a $200 blackout decal on mine!

They will probably just squirt some thick toothpaste-looking adhesive up in the gaps between the very stiff inner structure and the outer hood skin. The same stuff that's in there now (see the arrow in the pic below), just more of it.

4.jpg

6-wing down.jpg

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 19 63.3%
Back