GX550 Overtrail Vibration

Two weeks in (and one 4 hour road trip down). I'm luckily not feeling the random vibrations at lower speeds, though at higher highway speeds (80+), you definitely feel some vibrations from the tires. I'm coming out of a lifted Gladiator, so this thing rides like a dream and the User Interface/Infotainment is one of the best I've seen and the opposite of every (crappy) Toyota/Lexus UI from the past. Other than that, the hood does flex a little at speed and the gas tank is too small for the size of the vehicle.

Update on ride quality and vibrations for my vehicle: Dealer has now had my Luxury+ in the shop for 12 days due to the horrible suspension chattering. I’ve been given no answers on the problem to date. Bought it May 13th without test driving first, took it home and had multiple people drive it and they all thought it rode like crap, had a deal to trade it for a Sequoia from another dealer on 15th, gave my dealer a chance to buy it back or honor their 3-day exchange policy instead, they asked to check it out, and their service department has kept it in the shop since the 17th. They agreed it wasn’t driving right and another one on the lot was worse than mine. To date, they have given me no indication of what is wrong, and have danced around my request for the 3 day exchange.

Update on ride quality and vibrations for my vehicle: Dealer has now had my Luxury+ in the shop for 12 days due to the horrible suspension chattering. I’ve been given no answers on the problem to date. Bought it May 13th without test driving first, took it home and had multiple people drive it and they all thought it rode like crap, had a deal to trade it for a Sequoia from another dealer on 15th, gave my dealer a chance to buy it back or honor their 3-day exchange policy instead, they asked to check it out, and their service department has kept it in the shop since the 17th. They agreed it wasn’t driving right and another one on the lot was worse than mine. To date, they have given me no indication of what is wrong, and have danced around my request for the 3 day exchange.
🤦🏻‍♂️😬

Picked up our Overtrail + on Saturday and immediately after pulling out of the dealer's lot we noticed a vibration that was present. We originally thought it was the tires being unbalanced or maybe the alignment was off.

We just picked it back up from the service today after being there for two days and they do not have an answer. I went on a test drive with their master mechanic who did notice what we were feeling and agrees it seemed odd. The tech said wheel imbalance would occur and be noticeable at speeds around 55+. The vibration occurs from 5 mph upwards. But everything they checked shows that there shouldn't be an issue. They are thinking KDSS might be the blame or perhaps the offroad tires... They have opened up a ticket and we are currently waiting to hear back from Lexus.

Any other overtrail owners experience this?
not yet! Getting used to THE THREE TON TRUCK having fun hope your problem is worked out.

I hope I'm not intruding on the forum, but I recently took delivery of a Land Cruiser First Edition with standard 20" wheels and Michelin LTX Trail tires.

When test driving it before purchasing, I noticed a vibration in the ride at low speed - from very slow up to the about 40 mph maximum speed during the drive. It was the feeling of vibration in the driver's seat similar to what would occur if the rear wheels were out of alignment or the rear tires were out of balance. It seemed that every crack or other pavement imperfection was magnified, but the vibration was also evident even on smooth road surfaces. I commented to the sales person about it. The next morning the dealer's service department manager, a service technician and the salesperson took a test drive in the same vehicle. They advised me that the ride quality was normal - no surprise!

I proceeded with the purchase and suspected after some more driving that the issue could be tire related. I then checked the tire pressures, which were all apparently set by the factory at 40 psi rather than the 33 psi specified on the door jamb sticker. After reducing the pressures to around 34 psi, the ride quality definitely improved. I can't say that the low speed vibrations were entirely eliminated, but definitely reduced.

Not sure that I am commenting about the same type of vibration that is mentioned in this thread, but this is my experience with a similar, though non-KDSS, vehicle.

Last edited:
I hope I'm not intruding on the forum, but I recently took delivery of a Land Cruiser First Edition with standard 20" wheels and Michelin LTX Trail tires.

When test driving it before purchasing, I noticed a vibration in the ride at low speed - from very slow up to the about 40 mph maximum speed during the drive. It was the feeling of vibration in the driver's seat similar to what would occur if the rear wheels were out of alignment or the rear tires were out of balance. It seemed that every crack or other pavement imperfection was magnified, but the vibration was also evident even on smooth road surfaces. I commented to the sales person about it. The next morning the dealer's service department manager, a service technician and the salesperson took a test drive in the same vehicle. They advised me that the ride quality was normal - no surprise!

I proceeded with the purchase and suspected after some more driving that the issue could be tire related. I then checked the tire pressures, which were all apparently set by the factory at 40 psi rather than the 33 psi specified on the door jamb sticker. After reducing the pressures to around 34 psi, the ride quality definitely improved. I can't say that the low speed vibrations were entirely eliminated, but definitely reduced.

Not sure that I am commenting about the same type of vibration that is mentioned in this thread, but this is my experience with a similar, though non-KDSS, vehicle.

I took delivery of my overtrail with all tires at 46 psi and the spare at 52 psi. The overtrail door jam recommends 35 psi, so I lowered my tires to 36 psi (a 22% reduction) and it's made a big difference.

My tires all came at 39psi, but I have no complaints about vibration in my OT, it drives really smooth, so I hope they get the issues corrected for you quickly. Also, I've been mostly city and city highway driving for the first 700 miles, and I'm averaging 18mpg if I drive conservatively, and about 16.5 if I have some fun here and there.

Picked up our Overtrail + on Saturday and immediately after pulling out of the dealer's lot we noticed a vibration that was present. We originally thought it was the tires being unbalanced or maybe the alignment was off.

We just picked it back up from the service today after being there for two days and they do not have an answer. I went on a test drive with their master mechanic who did notice what we were feeling and agrees it seemed odd. The tech said wheel imbalance would occur and be noticeable at speeds around 55+. The vibration occurs from 5 mph upwards. But everything they checked shows that there shouldn't be an issue. They are thinking KDSS might be the blame or perhaps the offroad tires... They have opened up a ticket and we are currently waiting to hear back from Lexus.

Any other overtrail owners experience this?
Hello did you hear anything as yet from the opened ticket? All GXs are held at the port since May so I am glad you escalated on time

I’m working on doing an exchange for mine bc of the vibration and chattering issue. My dealer now has two with the same problem, so hopefully corporate sees it’s a real problem and not just something subjective. I’ve had a loaner TX for 7 days now. At this point, I’m so disappointed after waiting for 10 months that I want nothing to do with it anymore. Probably just trade into an old man RX hybrid for a year and wait for the GX hybrid or flip to a new Land Cruiser.
Some other customers have indicated that the tyre pressures were filled incorrectly. Did you check all 4 tyres to be 36psi based on the door jam sticker?

Some other customers have indicated that the tyre pressures were filled incorrectly. Did you check all 4 tyres to be 36psi based on the door jam sticker?
My dealership tried to fix my GX for 21 days with no success. It was not a tire pressure issue. I gave up on it and accepted a trade for a Sequoia Platinum.
IMG_2810.jpeg

I thought you were in a loaner TX?
Yes. Had a loaner for all three weeks Lexus tried to fix my suspension issues. They admitted it was not fixable and corporate mechanics needed to get their hands on it. I told them I just wanted to trade the GX on for a Sequoia that didn’t ride like crap. So no more underpowered TX 350. And no more chattering GX.

Yes. Had a loaner for all three weeks Lexus tried to fix my suspension issues. They admitted it was not fixable and corporate mechanics needed to get their hands on it. I told them I just wanted to trade the GX on for a Sequoia that didn’t ride like crap. So no more underpowered TX 350. And no more chattering GX.
That's unfortunate! I have a '23 Sequoia TRD Pro that's fully-built out and it's a freaking beast! It's an incredible rig. Obviously nothing is perfect, but I've been really happy with it. Actually going to be selling it soon ;)

Any other overtrail owners experience this

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%