GX550 Overtrail Vibration

Picked up OT+ this week and thankfully don't have this issue but I will say it is a little jarring over bumps and imperfections in the road...not even major pot holes but just the average roads here in Houston it's a little buggy (like riding in a go cart bouncy). It's kind of a juxtapose being in the drivers seat with the nice upright seating position and bigger tires in my mind it would seem very planted and sturdy yet when it hits bumps it seems to rattle the rig.
You probably already did this, but check the PSI in the tires, just in case. A lot of them have been delivered with way too much air in the tires! Drop it down to 35 PSI.

Coming from my Defender with an incredible air suspension, I thought it was just me (also like the downgrade from the Meridian system to the crappy ML). But in the first half mile of driving 25 mph on our neighborhood street, my wife looked at me seriously and said she was going to need Dramamine if she ever had to ride in it again. I had three other friends drive it and they all thought there was no way it was how the car was supposed to ride. (One guy had a 2021 LC and was thinking about trading it in for a GX and said he had to scratch the GX of his list and he couldn’t get over how a perfectly smooth road could make the rear seat belts chatter.) My dealership 100% agreed and asked me not to sell it to any other dealer on a trade bc they didn’t want this vehicle out on the streets. So rather than being too sensitive, I feel bad for people driving around in GXs with the same issue and just thinking it’s an acceptable way for an $84,000 vehicle to drive bc it’s body on frame and they’re not gonna cry about it.
I have a Jeep Wrangler JL and a new Ineos Grenadier - both with solid Axles and big tires- both drive smoother at low speeds than my GX Lux+ or my Friends Overtrail + at all suspension settings. Our GX does drive smooth at Freeway speeds, but feels like the seats are bolted to the rear axle at lower speeds even on pretty smooth roads.

Not one person that I can find, has posted about this has driven a second GX550 and not felt the vibration. And none have had the vibration "fixed" once they had it. A few drove other gx's and felt the vibration, and a few weren't able to find other vehicles to drive. A vast majority haven't felt the vibration at all. Plus I have read a huge amount of online reviews on this vehicle and not one has mentioned this as an issue. Most state it isn't as nice riding as a "car" unibody, but the body on frame gives you a much better off road vehicle. This leads me to believe that there may well be a few GX's out there that have an issue, and there probable are some drivers out there who are more sensitive to this and are coming from cars not trucks and have a different expectation level. When I test drove one it felt fine, but I haven't received mine yet so I will withold judgement until I really put some miles on.
This makes me feel a bit better. Unless it’s shaking my fillings out I probably won’t notice coming from full-size truck/suv’s. And the only experience I’ve had with air suspension is a ls460 and 7 series sedan. I Have no expectations that it will be anything close to those.

This makes me feel a bit better. Unless it’s shaking my fillings out I probably won’t notice coming from full-size truck/suv’s. And the only experience I’ve had with air suspension is a ls460 and 7 series sedan. I Have no expectations that it will be anything close to those.
A half dozen techs, reps and the GM of my dealership rode and/or drove it. Every single person said it was terrible. The first tech thought is was so bad that he suspected shipping blocks from transport were left in the springs and not removed before delivery. Other people thought the seats were loose. Don’t know why people keep discounting my account of the issue on this forum. And by the way, I traded the GX in for a Platinum Sequoia which is also body on frame on the exact TNGF-A platform as the GX, but the ride on the roads in the Sequoia feels like floating on a cloud compared to my GX.

A half dozen techs, reps and the GM of my dealership rode and/or drove it. Every single person said it was terrible. The first tech thought is was so bad that he suspected shipping blocks from transport were left in the springs and not removed before delivery. Other people thought the seats were loose. Don’t know why people keep discounting my account of the issue on this forum. And by the way, I traded the GX in for a Platinum Sequoia which is also body on frame on the exact TNGF-A platform as the GX, but the ride on the roads in the Sequoia feels like floating on a cloud compared to my GX.
There is a difference between having a car with an issue and having lots of cars have an issue. We feel bad that you are having an issue. Most aren’t and some of the people who are say they have the same issue in every GX they drive. Which leads to questioning the severity of their specific issue. I am also on a couple Facebook sites that get way more traffic than this site does and I haven’t seen it mentioned there at all. Finally, while I hate to say it, no one knows anyone here so there is always the chance that someone might be stirring the pot for whatever reason.

I certainly didn’t mean to discount your experience. I don’t doubt something “else” was going on with you GX. And Im sure it was frustrating going through all that. I think to certain extent with this being a first year redesign we all are a little nervous. At least I am. Happy to hear you settled in on a platinum sequoia and having a good experience.

If I may, I used to drive a lifted 2014 4D wrangler with 34' Mickey Thompsons. I currently have a 22' Defender 4 cylinder with the offroad package, lockers, tires etc. (fully loaded otherwise and I love it.)

I test drove my local dealership's OT last month. Yes, the ride is not as smooth as the Defender but thats because of the lack of air suspension. Otherwise it drives just as smooth as lets say a Volvo XC90. Nomore vibrations as any other coil spring vehicle. IT DOES NOT DRIVE ANYTHING LIKE A JEEP.

That said I would trade my Defender for an OT in a heartbeat, but I wont because they don't have the option for the digital rearview mirror. I can't downgrade what I have now. Maybe their 25's will offer it in the OT.

It seems a lot more plush than the 2018 Tacoma TRD Pro I traded in for it. No vibration at low speeds that I can tell. It's a BOF vehicle. Like my Taco bumps are smoother at higher speeds (I don't slow down for the small speed bumps). I have no complaints having come from a truck.

I am thinking about changing out the tires on OT + to another brand to see it this helps with the vibration. The service advisor keeps trying to man splain what type of ride I should expect. My GX vibrates way worse than my Bronco on the highway I can literally watch my my passengers shake will driving.

I thought I might try changing out the tires since I know I would loose out if I sold/traded it.

I am thinking about changing out the tires on OT + to another brand to see it this helps with the vibration. The service advisor keeps trying to man splain what type of ride I should expect. My GX vibrates way worse than my Bronco on the highway I can literally watch my my passengers shake will driving.

I thought I might try changing out the tires since I know I would loose out if I sold/traded it.
Do you have another dealer you can go to, or talk to the shop manager?

The GX is currently at the dealer I am waiting to find out what they say and most likely will elevate my concerns to the manager.

the resale value on 550’s at this time would likely equate to you losing minimal. You might even be able to make a profit

If I may, I used to drive a lifted 2014 4D wrangler with 34' Mickey Thompsons. I currently have a 22' Defender 4 cylinder with the offroad package, lockers, tires etc. (fully loaded otherwise and I love it.)

I test drove my local dealership's OT last month. Yes, the ride is not as smooth as the Defender but thats because of the lack of air suspension. Otherwise it drives just as smooth as lets say a Volvo XC90. Nomore vibrations as any other coil spring vehicle. IT DOES NOT DRIVE ANYTHING LIKE A JEEP.

That said I would trade my Defender for an OT in a heartbeat, but I wont because they don't have the option for the digital rearview mirror. I can't downgrade what I have now. Maybe their 25's will offer it in the OT.

Not sure its a downgrade going from your defender to a GX, just different. Sure there is lack of digital rearview mirror, but your defender has a 4 banger with 50 less horsepower compared to GX engine. A digital rearview can be had in aftermarket mod for few hundred bucks

Not sure its a downgrade going from your defender to a GX, just different. Sure there is lack of digital rearview mirror, but your defender has a 4 banger with 50 less horsepower compared to GX engine. A digital rearview can be had in aftermarket mod for few hundred bucks
Hmm, after market mirror. Thanks I will look into that.

Mainelexus, be sure to test drive before you sign on the dotted line.
Thanks Gunner, really appreciate the help. Usually I test drive vehicles before I buy. Of course I also already have test driven one, and understand it isn't a car so I don't have unrealistic expectations. If the one I am looking at does have issues with vibrations I won't buy it unless and until they have fixed them. Of course that is what I would recommend to anyone buying any vehicle.

Hmm, after market mirror. Thanks I will look into that.
People talk about the Wolfbox g900 digital rear view mirror with pretty good reviews. You might want to check that one out. I have never used one, so I can't say how well it works.

The GX is currently at the dealer I am waiting to find out what they say and most likely will elevate my concerns to the manager.
Picked up my OT and the hood vibration started on the way home once I hit 60. Have had it for a month. The vibration isn’t consistent. Sometimes it’s a teeth rattling, steering wheel shaking, Dramamine needed ride on a smooth city road. I’ll start it up the next day and it’s not nearly as bad, but definitely noticeable. Drove to New Orleans, not too bad on the way there. Drove home the same day, and I pulled off the interstate twice to check the hood..it was vibrating so bad it looked like it was going to pop open. Front brakes screech when I reverse..that’s consistent. Dropped it off last Thursday at the dealership. Todays update..”We are communicating with engineering, and are having brake parts sent in but they aren’t all arriving at the same time.” Yep-that’s all I got. Disappointed is an understatement.
It’s especially frustrating to read comments insinuating that the people reporting the issues I’m now dealing with are just “sensitive”, “real estate agents or soccer moms who like the looks but can’t handle the ride”. The service department was quick to admit they felt and heard everything I reported.

Last edited:
Picked up my OT in Mobile, AL and the hood vibration started on the way home once I hit 60. Have had it for a month. The vibration isn’t consistent. Sometimes it’s a teeth rattling, steering wheel shaking, Dramamine needed ride on a smooth city road. I’ll start it up the next day and it’s not nearly as bad, but definitely noticeable. Drove to New Orleans, not too bad on the way there. Drove home the same day, and I pulled off the interstate twice to check the hood..it was vibrating so bad it looked like it was going to pop open. Front brakes screech when I reverse..that’s consistent. Dropped it off last Thursday at the dealership in Mobile. Todays update..”We are communicating with engineering, and are having brake parts sent in but they aren’t all arriving at the same time.” Yep-that’s all I got. Disappointed is an understatement.
It’s especially frustrating to read comments insinuating that the people reporting the issues I’m now dealing with are just “sensitive”, “real estate agents or soccer moms who like the looks but can’t handle the ride”. The service department was quick to admit they felt and heard everything I reported.
Welcome and hope the dealer can resolve your brake issues.

If Lexus hasn't resolved the hood flutter issue by the time we get our GX, will be installing some sound deadening material on the underside of the hood sheet metal behind the factory hood insulation. It is hard for me to say what a good fix would be as I don't have our GX yet and can not study the underside of the hood.
Two questions.
1.) Do you think that the flutter is happening due to a larger than normal gap between the front of the hood and the grill?
2.) Where is the flutter? Front, center or rear of the hood near the windshield?

Last edited:
I have some minor vibration as well under 50mph. Overtrail Plus...tires are at 35psi. Fine on the Highway. Any thoughts? other vehicle is a 5th gen 4Runner so well aware of a body on frame but the 4Runner is actually smoother.

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 6 75.0%
Back