GX550 Overtrail Vibration

We heard back from the service manager today. There is anther OT with the same issues we’ve experienced. Forgive me for not knowing the proper terminology. There are 4 parts that work with the rotors and brakes/independent suspension that are faulty. They use the same 4 parts in the other 550’s, but the OT is the only model affected. Engineering has manufactured these 4 pieces in Japan, and were hoping to have them legally approved and shipped by today. They are saying now it will be next week. The fix will be replacing the rotors, brakes and the newly manufactured 4 parts.
Hello, I assume that you were experienceling the same vibration issues as the rest of us. I was literally at my Lexus dealer 2 days ago, a master tech test drive mine and then we drove another OT on the lot. Myself and the tech both felt the exact same thing. They opened a ticket with Lexus, who then close the ticket and quote “this is a condition that is normal to like models and is considered characteristics of this model”. If possible, could you please forward an actual ticket or nature of the fix, so I can bring this forward to my dealer. Thank you

We heard back from the service manager today. There is anther OT with the same issues we’ve experienced. Forgive me for not knowing the proper terminology. There are 4 parts that work with the rotors and brakes/independent suspension that are faulty. They use the same 4 parts in the other 550’s, but the OT is the only model affected. Engineering has manufactured these 4 pieces in Japan, and were hoping to have them legally approved and shipped by today. They are saying now it will be next week. The fix will be replacing the rotors, brakes and the newly manufactured 4 parts.

This is promising, thank you for sharing. If possible, could you please provide any details (parts #s or the actual work order)? This will help many of us with their dealers.

Sounds like the parts being replaced are: steering knuckle/upper & lower control arm/brake caliper/brake rotor. This would be absolutely insane if it turns out to be true! Well over $1k in defective parts.

I don’t mind sharing my ticket, it’s actually comical when you read that “this is just how it’s suppose to ride”..lol

Attachments

• IMG_0131.jpeg
    IMG_0131.jpeg
    407.2 KB · Views: 100
My guess is there are some people who expect a car ride. Some people who have issues with a tire or two, and some who have this, which looks more substantial.

Mainelexus you seem like one of those people who loves to instigate and hear yourself talk, like a typical moron. If you’ve read anything in this specific forum you would know that most have already had their wheels balanced or new wheels and tires replaced. Or in some instance, both have already taken place. Along with multiple people who have at AT tires on their vehicles in the past and understand that there is a unique ride with those types of tires. However, there still seems to be an issue that doesnt relate to tires, but to the suspension. I dont care what your past is, I am speaking to objective facts as to what is going on with my vehicle. Please excuse yourself from this forum so those of us can try and get this figured, and start enjoying this vehicle properly.

Mainelexus you seem like one of those people who loves to instigate and hear yourself talk, like a typical moron. If you’ve read anything in this specific forum you would know that most have already had their wheels balanced or new wheels and tires replaced. Or in some instance, both have already taken place. Along with multiple people who have at AT tires on their vehicles in the past and understand that there is a unique ride with those types of tires. However, there still seems to be an issue that doesnt relate to tires, but to the suspension. I dont care what your past is, I am speaking to objective facts as to what is going on with my vehicle. Please excuse yourself from this forum so those of us can try and get this figured, and start enjoying this vehicle properly.
Don’t be an ass. Some people expect these to be cars. Some people have a tire bad and some have an issue. So far it looks like you are an ass who isn’t really adding anything to the conversation, surprise surprise.

Don’t be an ass. Some people expect these to be cars. Some people have a tire bad and some have an issue. So far it looks like you are an ass who isn’t really adding anything to the conversation, surprise surprise.
Mainelexus I have added everything to this conversation to include mods, updated info in reference to my vehicle, others members updated info and detailed Lexus information that specifically pertains to my vehicle that will hopefully help others find a solution. For someone with “57 years of living”, all you’ve seemed to do is supply this forum with smart comments that are neither constructive or informative….just like your last comment. I cant be the first person in your ”57 years of living” to point this out. You’re poor wife…

I don’t mind sharing my ticket, it’s actually comical when you read that “this is just how it’s suppose to ride”..lol
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like “sroberts” dealer is diving in on a possible solution. Hopefully we can see his repair ticket also and that begins to shed light.

Mainelexus I have added everything to this conversation to include mods, updated info in reference to my vehicle, others members updated info and detailed Lexus information that specifically pertains to my vehicle that will hopefully help others find a solution. For someone with “57 years of living”, all you’ve seemed to do is supply this forum with smart comments that are neither constructive or informative….just like your last comment. I cant be the first person in your ”57 years of living” to point this out. You’re poor wife…
I can’t help you with reading comprehension. Someone posted we had the issue figured out. When I stated well no, it may well be correct but we aren’t sure, he came back with a reply which said he had been working on cars for 25 years obviously he was correct and what else could it be an ac unit? Now based on a recent post it looks like he may well have been wrong. So I replied to his “smart answer’ with a jab, and once again it looks like his “solution was wrong” People post on these boards all the time, most come on when they have an issue, read up till they get the issue figured out and then leave. But there have been a number of posts on this specific topic which show in different ways. Grouping them all together and saying it is the control arms and calipers may well fix them all but probably won’t because they are probably separate issues. Stating this may annoy you for some reason but if I had a vibrations from 50 to 65 from the back right side I would probably still check a tire first. If I drove 3 gx’s of different versions and thought they all rode like crap I might start to think I didn’t like the ride, and if I drove one and on flat pavement it shook the crap out of me, I might think this is the issue. Perhaps an easier explanation. If you are driving down the road and the car stops running i would make sure you had gas in the tank before I pulled the engine. I hope in your life your husband has realized you don’t know a lot about cars and ripping people trying to identify the problem and help others on this board don’t really deserve any animosity.

Hello everyone! I got my OT+ roughly 2 weeks ago and after seeing this thread, I started noticing a vibration. I first would like to say that I blame you all for making me notice this in the first place so I hold this thread responsible lol.

My situation seems to be as follows:
  • Noticeable vibration between ~38 mph and ~50 mph
  • Based on my car maintenance and driving background, I feel the vibration in my butt and seat back which indicates rear issue
  • I took it into the dealer and my salesman, tech consultant, and tech supervisor all noticed the same vibration in the speeds I mentioned.
  • They checked the balance of the wheels and found nothing wrong.
  • They want to wait and see another OT+ come in and test drive it to compare before doing anything further.

Based on where I feel the vibration, it feels like the source is the rear end of the vehicle. Also, because it's in a range of speeds, this leads me to believe it's more tire/wheel than suspension but I'll admit that's just a guess.

I'd love to try out a different set of wheels or tires to see if maybe the oscilation of the wheel/tire combo just isn't right for the wheelbase of the vehicle. I had a similar situation in a past owned F350 long bed where certain road pavings in Colorado made the truck REALLY vibrate. I have a few freshly paved areas near me where I test so as to alleviate the notion that I'm just "feeling the road". My vehicle came with the Toyo's FYI.

I will continue to try different drive mode settings to see if it helps but so far I haven't found one. I'll post any updates I get but I really want this sorted soon because I'm moving in the next few months to somewhere I have to ship my vehicle to so I'll be without it for about a month and away from my dealer where this is documented. I'd love to hear thoughts.

I went ahead and got a wheel/tire shop to check balance and alignment separate from the dealer just to be sure it wasn't a simple wheel/tire issue. No luck, still the same vibration from the earlier mentioned speeds.

I always validate on a smooth fresh paved road near my work. I've tried out different drive mode settings and feel no difference. I'm going to keep checking back with my dealer for updates but they're waiting on another OT+ to come in to compare. I fear it will be the same situation as others here who test multiple vehicles with the same issue and the dealer just gives the " normal operation" response.

I don't think this is normal when it feels different from how the vehicle rides on rough roads.

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 9 64.3%
Back