GX550 Overtrail Vibration

I went ahead and got a wheel/tire shop to check balance and alignment separate from the dealer just to be sure it wasn't a simple wheel/tire issue. No luck, still the same vibration from the earlier mentioned speeds.

I always validate on a smooth fresh paved road near my work. I've tried out different drive mode settings and feel no difference. I'm going to keep checking back with my dealer for updates but they're waiting on another OT+ to come in to compare. I fear it will be the same situation as others here who test multiple vehicles with the same issue and the dealer just gives the " normal operation" response.

I don't think this is normal when it feels different from how the vehicle rides on rough roads.
Is this isolated to just the over trail models? If not then, can you have the dealer test with the other trims as well?

Is this isolated to just the over trail models? If not then, can you have the dealer test with the other trims as well?
OT & Lux + are the only trims with AVS and so far more OT trims are affected than the others. Reason I was thinking it has to be AVS vs other susp. components. We should know more if “sroberts” dealer pulls through with a solution. So far his dealer is the first I know of that’s trouble shot it thoroughly enough to come up with something.

OT & Lux + are the only trims with AVS and so far more OT trims are affected than the others. Reason I was thinking it has to be AVS vs other susp. components. We should know more if “sroberts” dealer pulls through with a solution. So far his dealer is the first I know of that’s trouble shot it thoroughly enough to come up with something.
Ok. Well anecdotally, I don’t have any issues with “vibration”. I have issues with a rougher ride than I’m used to but over regular paved road , I haven't experienced any weird vibration /tire imbalance issues. Hopefully the dealer can identify the issue you guys have having. Happy to provide any testing if you guys need from a lux+ perspective.

Ok. Well anecdotally, I don’t have any issues with “vibration”. I have issues with a rougher ride than I’m used to but over regular paved road , I haven't experienced any weird vibration /tire imbalance issues. Hopefully the dealer can identify the issue you guys have having. Happy to provide any testing if you guys need from a lux+ perspective.
Could your rough feel be down to the 22” rim low profile tire setup on your Lux +? My wife’s Macan gives me that sense going from any of our other cars which have more sidewall.

Could your rough feel be down to the 22” rim low profile tire setup on your Lux +? My wife’s Macan gives me that sense going from any of our other cars which have more sidewall.
I cough it up to a number of things including PASM on my Macan, 20” rims, IrS, unibody and great insulation inside. It went over small bumps and highways like champ. That said the GX even with the 22s have more “meat” on the sidewalls than the Macan. Also the psi is lower on these tires. I haven’t had a body on frame vehicle before so this may all be par for course in regards to handling smaller bumps/potholes/irregularities on the roads. I’m sure on trails is where this suspension will shine. When on the highway and on smooth surfaces I have zero issues with vibrations. I’ve driven up to 85 so far and it has no vibrations. And brakes are buttery smooth.

I actually test drove a Prem+ that had a very similar vibration to two different OT's. I'm too hopeful "sroberts" dealer comes up with some solution. I have some issues with the brakes similar to "warped" rotors so I am thinking they may be on the right track.

I actually test drove a Prem+ that had a very similar vibration to two different OT's. I'm too hopeful "sroberts" dealer comes up with some solution. I have some issues with the brakes similar to "warped" rotors so I am thinking they may be on the right track.
It really would be interesting to know the root cause on these issues. Could all be down to “new platform” woes as suppliers tool up etc. Hope you get the braking issue sorted…

It seems all the 550s would have a vibration issue. In my view it comes down to driver perception. At the end of the day, it is a truck and will not give a luxury car ride. Same with performance cars— a Dino, Boxer or Miura will never be as smooth as a performance BMW and a Ducati v4R or SP2 sport bike will never ride as nice as a BMW touring bike. Just my cents.

It seems all the 550s would have a vibration issue. In my view it comes down to driver perception. At the end of the day, it is a truck and will not give a luxury car ride. Same with performance cars— a Dino, Boxer or Miura will never be as smooth as a performance BMW and a Ducati v4R or SP2 sport bike will never ride as nice as a BMW touring bike. Just my cents.
I thought the same at first, but a few posters on here seem to be having much worse issues and based upon their experiences it probably goes beyond not understanding a truck rides differently than a car. It seems to be more prevalent in the overtrails, but it may be there are more of those out there on the road, or the different tires react differently with the suspension, or the OT shocks are having specific issues causing the really bad issues. It sounds like Lexus may have a fix coming but we shall see.

Glad I found this thread. I have an OT+ and for reference came from an LR4. After I drove off the lot about 10 minutes down the road I went back and told service I thought there was a flat spot on the tire or it was unbalance, mostly from the rear. They balanced it and assured me that nothing was wrong, and I was just likely not used to the lugs on the AT tires. I have to say my 2 defenders don't even have the same feeling as I drive, and those are both on MT's. I do believe that it has gotten better in the 500 miles I drove it so far, but no way you can convince me that it's "just a truck." Mine is at low speed mostly, and almost feels like the rear if that makes sense. Basically feels like I am on a dirt road. If I put my arm on the headrest of the empty passenger seat, I can feel and watch it shake as I drive on my smooth and flat development street. I am more used to it now, but not in any SUV of the past 7 that I own have I felt this. I considered new wheels and tires, and waiting on suspension upgrades, but really should be the last thing on my mind for the cost. Even the grenadier didn't have anything close while driving on AT's.

Just to provide some reassurance, my OT does nothing like what you guys are experiencing. My wife is very sensitive to those types of things and she would be the first to point out even a slight vibration, but my OT rides really smooth on any condition road surface. Don't get me wrong, I can feel potholes and bumps, but when the pavement is smooth it's like driving on glass. Also, I have the stock Toyo tires.

Glad I found this thread. I have an OT+ and for reference came from an LR4. After I drove off the lot about 10 minutes down the road I went back and told service I thought there was a flat spot on the tire or it was unbalance, mostly from the rear. They balanced it and assured me that nothing was wrong, and I was just likely not used to the lugs on the AT tires. I have to say my 2 defenders don't even have the same feeling as I drive, and those are both on MT's. I do believe that it has gotten better in the 500 miles I drove it so far, but no way you can convince me that it's "just a truck." Mine is at low speed mostly, and almost feels like the rear if that makes sense. Basically feels like I am on a dirt road. If I put my arm on the headrest of the empty passenger seat, I can feel and watch it shake as I drive on my smooth and flat development street. I am more used to it now, but not in any SUV of the past 7 that I own have I felt this. I considered new wheels and tires, and waiting on suspension upgrades, but really should be the last thing on my mind for the cost. Even the grenadier didn't have anything close while driving on AT's.
Learn from my mistake, i left the dealer and noticed it immediately, thought it was a wheel out of balance. Didnt worry about it because I had the new wheels and tires at the house ready to put on. Had them put on, road force balanced and still the pesky vibration. When i brought it in last week rode with the master tech in mine and an OT on the lot, we both immediately felt the vibration. Buuuut, because i had aftermarket wheels and tires on the vehicle, they wanted to charge me $189 for diagnostics and then $200 to re road force them. Just put my stock wheels and tires back on, called Lexus Hq, got a new case manager and I am turning the vehicle in on Thursday to get looked at again. Also, when leaving the dealership, brakes started screeching.

I think the issues “sroberts” is having are different from other GX owners vibration issues since he is feeling it in his steering and all others are just feeling the vibration through the seat. Nobody else has mentioned steering vibration in this post. I am taking mine back for the second time today for the West Coast head tech to drive it. I have also driven a new OT+ and it had the same vibration through the seat.

I think the issues “sroberts” is having are different from other GX owners vibration issues since he is feeling it in his steering and all others are just feeling the vibration through the seat. Nobody else has mentioned steering vibration in this post. I am taking mine back for the second time today for the West Coast head tech to drive it. I have also driven a new OT+ and it had the same vibration through the seat.
Can agree with this. The vibration is felt through the seat. The steering is fantastic. I do enjoy it being more assisted than the '23 and prior years. Seems to communicate rather nicely as to what the tires are doing. But none of the secondary vibrations felt through the suspension are communicated through the steering wheel.

Can agree with this. The vibration is felt through the seat. The steering is fantastic. I do enjoy it being more assisted than the '23 and prior years. Seems to communicate rather nicely as to what the tires are doing. But none of the secondary vibrations felt through the suspension are communicated through the steering wheel.
I agree, compared to my '10 Tundra, I tell people this GX is a bit like driving with a game controller. You still feel the tire position, but hitting a bump that jerks my steering wheel on the Tundra does very little in the GX.

Reactions: ksj
Today I noticed two vibration noises. One was from the dealer installed plate cover I got yesterday. Easily fixed. The other seems to be coming from under the hood at about the same rpm range the OP is describing. Sounds like a heat cover too close to something...

Lexus head West Coast Tech drove my GX and said the rough ride and vibration is typical to the new GX and that’s just how they drive. It’s unfortunate since both my Wrangler and Ineos Grenadier with Solid axles have a smoother ride from 0-50 mph than a new Lexus GX 550. Pretty disappointing.

Just got my OT+ yesterday. I am thinking I may have the same issue. Coming from a 2010 4runner with Icon stage 2 lift with BFG 285/70/17 C rated. The 4runner is obviously not as "smooth" but it doesn't shake like the GX does. Kind of feels like you are driving on a very mild washboard dirt road. Reported the issue today. Will report back.

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 10 66.7%
Back