GX550 Overtrail Vibration

It will be interesting to know if anyone else can resolve the vibration with the same brake parts ”sroberts” received. More interesting yet would be anyone who can retain the old parts so we can see what the malfunction is.

Stumbled on this thread after experiencing the same vibrations that people are describing. Mine is an OT+ with just over 1k miles but notices it since delivery. I just had my tires rebalanced today at Goodyear with no to little improvement. What I do notice helps is keeping it in comfort mode which makes me think it is a suspension issue.

Stumbled on this thread after experiencing the same vibrations that people are describing. Mine is an OT+ with just over 1k miles but notices it since delivery. I just had my tires rebalanced today at Goodyear with no to little improvement. What I do notice helps is keeping it in comfort mode which makes me think it is a suspension issue.
Please take it to your dealer and call 1-800-25-LEXUS to open a ticket. Hopefully the more people that make them aware, will urge them to try and rectify the issue.

I already started a conversation with my dealer. Apparently, Lexus is already providing some guidance and instructions to dealerships on the vibration issue. I don't have details yet but seems similar to sroberts solution.

I already started a conversation with my dealer. Apparently, Lexus is already providing some guidance and instructions to dealerships on the vibration issue. I don't have details yet but seems similar to sroberts solution.
It would be pretty interesting if this was all about a break shim

Picked up our Overtrail + on Saturday and immediately after pulling out of the dealer's lot we noticed a vibration that was present. We originally thought it was the tires being unbalanced or maybe the alignment was off.

We just picked it back up from the service today after being there for two days and they do not have an answer. I went on a test drive with their master mechanic who did notice what we were feeling and agrees it seemed odd. The tech said wheel imbalance would occur and be noticeable at speeds around 55+. The vibration occurs from 5 mph upwards. But everything they checked shows that there shouldn't be an issue. They are thinking KDSS might be the blame or perhaps the offroad tires... They have opened up a ticket and we are currently waiting to hear back from Lexus.

Any other overtrail owners experience this?
I test drove the Premium, Luxury + and Overtrail+ before I bought the Overtrail +. The Overtrail + has the the best ride of all 3. The luxury + has the worse ride with the 22” rims. I own a 2002 LX 470 and it has a very cushy car like ride. I’ve owned a Landcruiser in the past and it felt like a truck. The OT + has the ride in between. I’ve had my OT+ now for 2 weeks and I love it. It’s a little bumpy on poorly paved roads but absolutely smooth on the highway. Remember it’s still a truck ( body on frame) and will not ride like a cushy refined sedan. You couldn’t give me a land rover Defender. It may ride a little smoother but the saying goes”outback the Defender gets you out but the Lexus 550 brings you back”.

So I have also experienced vibration issues coming from the rear passenger side of the vehicle as others have stated on my overtrail+. During my first visit they said it was likely a tire balance issue and performed a road force balance to fix the issue. Just test drove it again and the vibration is still there. In front of our dealership we have a brand new paved road so it was very easy for me to tell that the vibration was in fact coming from the car and not the road. I told them about the potential shim issue so we will see. I will report back when I hear from them. Will call Lexus HQ today to also report the issue.

Well I just got done reading through all 16 pages of these comments. Picked up my OT in late May. Brought it back to the dealer at 1k miles for the vibration. Multiple tires out of balance and they couldn’t get within balancing spec. Went on a 2,500 mile road trip and couldn’t do more than 75 MPH due to the vibrations AFTER they replaced 3/4 of the Toyos. Brought back to the dealer after the road trip and they had it for a few days and replaced the Toyos with Michelins with a less aggressive tread. Definitely a quieter and smoother riding tire but the vibration issue is still there. I also have the brake squeal when reversing after the car has sat for overnight or for a few hours.

If they can’t fix this thing quickly I hate say I will be looking to sell it or trade it in.

Really frustrated as I was so excited for this car. My previous ride was a 2018 Tundra and it rode and drove on the highway much, much better than my OT GX.

Last edited:
Well I just got done reading through all 16 pages of these comments. Picked up my OT in late May. Brought it back to the dealer at 1k miles for the vibration. Multiple tires out of balance and they couldn’t get within balancing spec. Went on a 2,500 mile road trip and couldn’t do more than 75 MPH due to the vibrations AFTER they replaced 3/4 of the Toyos. Brought back to the dealer after the road trip and they had it for 4 days and replaced the Toyos with Michelins with a less aggressive tread. Definitely a quieter and smoother riding tire but the vibration issue is still there. I also have the brake squeal when reversing after the car has sat for overnight or for a few hours. Waiting to hear back from my dealer after leaving a few messages. I’m assuming they’re ignoring / avoiding me at this point. If they can’t fix this thing quickly I hate say I will be looking to sell it or trade it in.

Really frustrated as I was so excited for this car. My previous ride was a 2018 Tundra and it rode and drove on the highway much, much better than my OT GX.
Print out the work order “sroberts” posted here and politely introduce it to the service Mgr. at your dealer. There’s enough info there for them to see this could be the issue.

Print out the work order “sroberts” posted here and politely introduce it to the service Mgr. at your dealer. There’s enough info there for them to see this could be the issue.
Yes, it would be nice if this fixed it for multiple people, would at least give an explanation as well as confirmation.

I just took delivery of my GX 550 overtrail + last week. I love the truck but it is a bit rougher than the LUX+ was and to me drives like the newer jeep wranglers I have rented. Now to give you some back ground on my vehicles and suspension experience: I have a 996 911 TT with a track suspension setup so I know rough/stiff suspension. Previously, I had an 06’ LR3(air suspension) and drove it for 200K then a 2022 4Runner TRD Pro(Wescott suspension lift). Got rid of the 4 Runner because it didnt have enough cargo space for my kiting and foiling gear and that 5 speed transmission sucked. In my opinion and my wife's the Wescott suspension lift smoothed out the 4Runner. Next vehicle I decided to go big, GMC At4 Yukon XL(Air suspension). That Truck shut off twice on me before the engine blew up at 2,500 miles. The Engine was replaced then the truck shutoff on me again first time I drove it. GMC is buying it back. And now the GX550……..
Before I pulled the trigger on the Overtrail+, I test drove a Luxury+ which seemed very smooth. In my opinion my OT+ drives worse than the LUX+ but not as bad as some have said. I have noticed that when the rear wheels hit small bumps it make the whole vehicle shudder(normal or comfort). When I select sportS or SportS+ it would seem to stop the vehicle rattle on the bumps but you still feel the bump more than you think you would(kind of like my 911). My wife got in the GX550 pax seat the first time and said she felt a vibration, but I was not feeling any vibration. I started paying more attention and have noticed some vibration on back roads imperfectly paved however, drive a main road that is smoother or the highway and its driving completely different, smooth with no vibration, but I still feel some small bumps more than I would have in my 4Runner. Body roll while in normal or comfort is significant. Switch to either sport mode and i'm taking a fairly tight off ramp at 70mph with little body role and smooth ride. I actually couldnt believe how fast I was able to take that off ramp. Interestingly, driving in our rock based imperfect community parking lot and its buttery smooth with no vibration. Additionally, if you drive fast over large rounded speed bumps the suspension soaks it up and its buttery smooth again. I can only think this has to do with the AVS and the dampening not actuating when it should. We are about to take a fully loaded truck and roof top carrier road trip and I’m curious how the GX550 OT+ will ride but I bet its going to be smooth. I’ll update after our trip.
Back from OBX. My OT+ fully loaded road much better than when unloaded. A Thule XL roof top carrier and a 8' downwind board strapped to the side proved to be quieter than just the stock cross roof bars. At OBX with the roof top on but unloaded it still appeared to drive better than unloaded. Returned home, unloaded, roof top carrier and cross bars removed and the truck is remarkably quieter at higher speeds however, the rough ride has returned on rough pavement. Would seem to me to be the suspension set up. Specifically the rear. Just seems a bit harsh to me. I wouldn't call my rough ride, vibration, but I think most feel a "Lexus" even if it's an off-road version would drive, well, more like a lexus. That said, I really like the truck and will be looking for a mod that smooths out the rough ride a bit. I'll bet taking it to the Annapolis dealer to see what they have to say and seeing if Lexus comes out with a fix for all the complaints they would appear to be having or soon having.

325 mile each way. 18.6mpg driving 70-80mph with the roof top carrier and board. I didn't punch it on the starts. I did notice 22.3 mpg when driving at 55 when leaving OBX. Again not punching it on starts.

Attachments

• IMG_9350 3 2.jpg
    IMG_9350 3 2.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 47
Just picked up my Incognito/Black Overtrail yesterday. Only 2mi on the Odo. Def some hood flutter. Ride seems typical for a body-on-frame truck but maybe its a bit more bumpy than expected

Attachments

• IMG_2652.jpeg
    IMG_2652.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Just picked up my Incognito/Black Overtrail yesterday. Only 2mi on the Odo. Immediately thought it was a bit ‘harsher’ than expected & def a noticeable hood flutter. Add me to the list 😩
"The list"? 2 miles and you've had these issues? Did you make this post while you were driving away from the dealer parking lot?

Last edited:
"The list"? 2 miles and you've had these issues? Did you make this post while you were driving away from the dealer parking lot?
I think he’s saying his OT had 2 miles on the odometer when he picked it up from the dealer. That’s a pretty typical odometer reading for a brand new car.

I think he’s saying his OT had 2 miles on the odometer when he picked it up from the dealer. That’s a pretty typical odometer reading for a brand new car.
I understand that part. Just surprised that they immediately encountered these issues since yesterday., when they picked it up. This should clearly be a candidate for the selling dealer to diagnose.

Last edited:
Reactions: JPE
To say it again, this truck has much larger capacity than most SUV's. My OT+ capacity is over 1700 libs. I mean, the springs to do have to have some load to make things smooth. As someone who moved from a Tacoma to the GX, the ride is pretty much as I expected when it's just me.

It is a bit jittery and 'bouncy', but with a couple other people and a trailer (or full weekend load in back) it's awesome. I'm not sure there is a way to have this capacity with the ride of a stock <23 GX.

I really hope they don't decide to go with a lower load capacity, but that may be what happens if people are complaining about the ride when the truck is empty or just has a couple kids in it.

Correct. Drove it an hour back home and noticed the hood flutter & just overall felt a little more road than expected. I did see that they had all 4 tires overinflated to 40psi so I deflated them down to 35psi after work yest. Hope that helps a bit

GX550 Poll

• 2 weeks

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • 1 - 2 months

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • 3 - 5 months

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • More than 5 months

Votes: 10 66.7%
Back