🛠️ Member Build Overtrail Updgrades

�Member Build
I picked up my Overtrail here in Arizona on June 7, 2024. I had Westcott Designs in Phoenix install their preload collar lift kit, their full length modular roof rack, 17" Method 703 wheels (titanium color, +35mm offset), and Toyo Open Country AT3 tires size 35X12.5R17LT (load range C). I think it turned our great, the ride is great, feels nearly the same as stock, feels a little more supple or softer than stock, and it seems like I can feel a little extra weight or inertia with the wheels & bigger tires. The stock Toyo AT3s are 265/70/18 and they weigh 44 lbs each. The 35s weigh 59 lbs each. Not sure how much the stock 18" wheels weigh compared to the 17" Methods but I'll weigh a stock 18" wheel & tire and figure out the weight of the new Method wheel & tire.

Only other changes are a hood blackout that I had a local wrap shop make for me, a touch screen protector from OCD Plug which is definitely worth it (2024+ Lexus GX 550 | 14" Main Infotainment | Matte/Anti-Glare | Screen), and an iphone wireless charger mounted in that odd space beneath the 12-volt plug (Amazon.com). The screen protector has a bunch of bubbles in the photo below but they all went away after a couple days. There is now no glare or reflection on the screen and no fingerprints. I located the wireless phone charger in this spot so that my phone can sit there and charge and I can still see it if needed (I just used double-sided tape). My truck didn't come with the stock wireless charging pad - I checked into getting the stock charging pad but the tech guy at the dealer said they are way too slow and it's better to just use the USB plugs.

Next upgrades will be rock sliders that also have good running boards so my kids can better climb up into the truck. I have the stock rock rails which are worthless as a step. Westcott Designs is working on rock rail/running boards. There are a few vendors with them already available but I'll wait to see what Westcott has to offer. The Westcott roof rack is incredibly well made and surprisingly cheap at $995. The similar Prinsu rack is $1355 and the Dissent Offroad rack is $1799. I'm hoping that Westcott's sliders are more attractively priced. Dissent's sliders are $1795. NYTOP has sliders for $1400. I also have a 7-foot Ironman 4x4 shade canopy that I'll be mounting to the roof rack.

I do like the NYTOP front bumper at $1200 but I'm waiting to see what winch bumpers come available. I've been building and wheeling Land Rovers for the past 25 years and I like having a winch up front. I'll probably upgrade the rear bumper too but I don't want to get a swing-away tire carrier. I had one for the larger tires on my Land Rover LR4 and the swing-away is a pain in the ass. You end up not putting things in the rear cargo bay because it's a pain to use 2 hands to open the swing-away and then open the hatch. I'll be picking up a cheap Toyota spare wheel that fits the GX550 and I'll mount a cheap spare 33" or 34" tire on it and leave it underneath in the stock location (will have to see what will fit underneath). I'll be mounting an ARB compressor somewhere in the truck so maybe a 34" tire will fit uninflated or underinflated. I'll be selling the full set of stock 18" Overtrail wheels and tires. I also sold the stock Overtrail roof rails and cross bars to a guy with a new Land Cruiser that came with no roof rails or cross bars. The parts are interchangeable - I took detailed measurements of the mounting points on the GX and they exactly match the Land Cruiser.

edited to update Westcott's roof rack price to $995 (not $950)

View attachment 1854

View attachment 1855

View attachment 1856

View attachment 1857

View attachment 1858

View attachment 1861

View attachment 1862
While I'd like to replace front and rear bumpers, mount a winch I'm concerned about weight. Only about 1,500 lb of cargo and my trailer is 650 lbs tongue weight so after that and 2 passengers things get a bit tight on weight if you add a couple hundred pounds more (not to mention losing gas mileage). Am I being overly cautious here?

it's explained starting at 40 seconds

It feels the same suspension-wise but you can feel that you are a couple inches higher and the tires give a bit more of a compliant ride on the road surface (these Load Range C 35x12.5x17 Toyo Open Country AT3s are 35 psi max). It feels great. I've lifted several trucks in the past (Land Rovers) and there was always some kind of sacrifice with the lift. I expected the same here but it is superb.

To reverse the lift you'd simply remove the preload collars and pucks. You'd very likely rub the tires if you ran them without the lift. Today I purposefully turned the wheels to full lock in a parking lot and no rubbing at all. Haven't had a chance to really get offroad yet but I sure am looking forward to it. Driving about 400 miles one-way to San Diego Saturday for a little vacation and I'm really looking forward to the drive in the new truck with my wife and 2 young boys.

While I'd like to replace front and rear bumpers, mount a winch I'm concerned about weight. Only about 1,500 lb of cargo and my trailer is 650 lbs tongue weight so after that and 2 passengers things get a bit tight on weight if you add a couple hundred pounds more (not to mention losing gas mileage). Am I being overly cautious here?
I think you are being overly cautious. I put about 1,000 lbs or more on my 2013 Land Rover LR4 with aftermarket wheels and bigger tires, full skid plates underneath, steel front & rear bumpers with a swing-arm tire carrier on the rear, 12000-lb winch up front, full roof rack, roof rack flooring, auxiliary lights, and a lot of gear stashed on board. I didn't hesitate to load it up with camping gear and people, load up the roof, etc.

The GVWR has a safety factor built in. The Overtrail's GVWR is 7165 lbs. It's not like the wheels will fall off at 7166 lbs.

Check this out from Victory 4x4

Looks very nice for what you have to work with on the GX550 front end. The fairlead is pretty low and it's going to take some hits and get packed with dirt but it's pretty darn good for just removing the lower bumper plastic and not cutting into the front plastic above. Personally, I think you'll see some winches being placed in the space occupied by the lower air openings just above the light bar with the Victory logo in the picture below.

Victory front bumper.jpg

Check this out from Victory 4x4

Looks very nice for what you have to work with on the GX550 front end. The fairlead is pretty low and it's going to take some hits and get packed with dirt but it's pretty darn good for just removing the lower bumper plastic and not cutting into the front plastic above. Personally, I think you'll see some winches being placed in the space occupied by the lower air openings just above the light bar with the Victory logo in the picture below.

View attachment 2040
Hopefully that's a pre-production version...the fit and finish doesn't look great, particularly on a new $80k truck.

While I like the Westcott lift kit, at a 2.5" front lift I'm a little concerned about how much that will limit front droop. I would prefer a 1.25" front lift. Maybe by the time I get my GX, Westcott will have other options, or there will be lift kits from other manufacturers.

Hopefully that's a pre-production version...the fit and finish doesn't look great, particularly on a new $80k truck.
Not feeling too good about it now seeing that I ordered one two weeks ago, to be told that shipping time is indefinite, they made ONE SET put it on a video and started advertising a pipe dream on their website

Sure thing, happy to share the info. Please tell Westcott that I referred you!
Not feeling too good about it now seeing that I ordered one two weeks ago, to be told that shipping time is indefinite, they made ONE SET put it on a video and started advertising a pipe dream on their website

While I like the Westcott lift kit, at a 2.5" front lift I'm a little concerned about how much that will limit front droop. I would prefer a 1.25" front lift. Maybe by the time I get my GX, Westcott will have other options, or there will be lift kits from other manufacturers.
FROM WHAT IVE LEARNT OVER MY 50 YEARS OF EXISTENCE IS, EVER MANUFACTURER HAS THEIR INSIDER ON THE FORUM TO HELP SPREAD THEIR BULL, I WAS JUST NOW TOLD BY THESE DUDE AFTER TWO WEEKS OF WAITING, THAT THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHEN ILL GET THE PART, AINT THAT SOME SHIT, SOMEONE ON HERE HAS THE ONLY ONE, THINK ABOUT IT, AND THE SALES DUDE WAS A LITTLE SARCASTIC A-HOLE TOO, I WISH I HAD THE LINK TO THEIR MAN IN CHINA, I WOULD CUT THE MUGS OUT, IM PISSED.

Last edited:
What the hell are you talking about?

The prototype front bumper from Victory 4x4 or the lift kit from Westcott Designs?

I think, based on your rambling rantings, that you are talking about the Victory bumper.

The bumper photo was posted on Facebook with the text: "Victory 4x4 front hidden winch bumper! More pics to come when we get it all wrapped up."

I can assure everyone on this forum that I am not affiliated with either Victory 4x4 or Westcott.

What the hell are you talking about?

The prototype front bumper from Victory 4x4 or the lift kit from Westcott Designs?

I think, based on your rambling rantings, that you are talking about the Victory bumper.

The bumper photo was posted on Facebook with the text: "Victory 4x4 front hidden winch bumper! More pics to come when we get it all wrapped up."

I can assure everyone on this forum that I am not affiliated with either Victory 4x4 or Westcott.
NOT TALKING TO YOU PERSONALLY OR ABOUT YOUR BUMPER OR YOUR TRUCK BECAUSE I LIKE THE BUILD, AS FOR YOU CALLING MY COMMENT RAMBLING, YOU COULD KISS MY REAR QUARTER, THEY ARE NOT CLEAR ABOUT THEIR COLLAR KIT, MY PAYMENT TOOK 5 SECONDS TO POST, THEY SAID NOTHING ABOUT 6 MONTH WAIT BECAUSE IT A FREAKING PROTOTYPE, ITS NOWHERE ON THE WEBSITE, GUY. UNLESS YOU WERE PRIVY TO MY CONVERSATION WITH THEM.

NOT TALKING TO YOU PERSONALLY OR ABOUT YOUR BUMPER OR YOUR TRUCK BECAUSE I LIKE THE BUILD, AS FOR YOU CALLING MY COMMENT RAMBLING, YOU COULD KISS MY REAR QUARTER, THEY ARE NOT CLEAR ABOUT THEIR COLLAR KIT, MY PAYMENT TOOK 5 SECONDS TO POST, THEY SAID NOTHING ABOUT 6 MONTH WAIT BECAUSE IT A FREAKING PROTOTYPE, ITS NOWHERE ON THE WEBSITE, GUY. UNLESS YOU WERE PRIVY TO MY CONVERSATION WITH THEM.
IT'S NOT MY BUMPER OR TRUCK, IT WAS POSTED BY SOMEONE AT VICTORY 4X4 AS A SNEAK PIC OF THEIR PROTOTYPE FRONT WINCH BUMPER.

WESTCOTT'S PRE-LOAD COLLAR KIT IS NOT A PROTOTYPE. IF THEY ARE TELLING YOU THERE IS A 6-MONTH WAIT THEN THEY MUST BE BOOKED UP. I HAD TO WAIT ABOUT 3 WEEKS FOR MY APPOINTMENT. IF YOU'RE NOT HAPPY THEN JUST GET A REFUND INSTEAD OF WHINING ON AN INTERNET FORUM.

TYPING IN ALL CAPS IS HARD, HOW DO YOU KEEP ON RAMBLING IN ALL CAPS?

IT'S NOT MY BUMPER OR TRUCK, IT WAS POSTED BY SOMEONE AT VICTORY 4X4 AS A SNEAK PIC OF THEIR PROTOTYPE FRONT WINCH BUMPER.

WESTCOTT'S PRE-LOAD COLLAR KIT IS NOT A PROTOTYPE. IF THEY ARE TELLING YOU THERE IS A 6-MONTH WAIT THEN THEY MUST BE BOOKED UP. I HAD TO WAIT ABOUT 3 WEEKS FOR MY APPOINTMENT. IF YOU'RE NOT HAPPY THEN JUST GET A REFUND INSTEAD OF WHINING ON AN INTERNET FORUM.

TYPING IN ALL CAPS IS HARD, HOW DO YOU KEEP ON RAMBLING IN ALL CAPS?

Everybody, STOP YELLING!!!! You're giving me a headache. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Iron bison tacoma step rail on the Gx, modified mounting bracket locations

Attachments

• thumbnail (8).jpg
    thumbnail (8).jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 100
  • thumbnail (9).jpg
    thumbnail (9).jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 82
  • thumbnail (10).jpg
    thumbnail (10).jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 98
Despite the noted above, it is great to see the aftermarket getting in quickly on this new platform. Low profile front bumper to gain clearance where it can will be a huge win on the trail and provide some added piece of mind. Some high clearance step sliders are also very handy. I have a very old set on our 80 made by bump it off road and they provide enough protection without loosing the usefulness of a step when packing away our RTT. Will be looking for a similar option for the GX in the coming years. Maybe a set of 285 (34") tires on the factory Overtrail 18's would be welcome and potentially bolt on without any additional lift. In the mean time it will be exciting watching all your builds.

Last edited:
I'm starting my build at Westcott thanks to Bluegill's posting. I found the staff to be friendly and knowledgeable. I was told upfront that I would have to wait at least four weeks for parts. I appreciate that people are sharing their builds and issues on this platform

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Comfort

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Normal

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)