GX550 Overtrail Vibration

Mine was a Lux+, so no eKDSS. Plus, the chatter happened on perfectly smooth and straight roads, and others w OT+ had same issue, at any speed on smooth roads. No way it has anything to do with the eKDSS, even if it was malfunctioning. You wouldn’t notice sway bars disconnecting under those conditions. I suspected it was the AVS, bc I haven’t heard anyone with a Premium noticing it yet.

I wonder if there's an easy way to disconnect the AVS control wiring from the shocks. Might set codes, but it would certainly point to either something wrong with the control program or maybe defects in the shocks where the valving is responding incorrectly to the signal.

No chattering on my lux+, but definitely notice that it doesn’t smooth out bumps as well as my previous Macan S with PASM. That’s to be expected though since this is BOF truck and much bigger. That said, I’m surprised that it doesn’t eat the little bumps for lunch and those are pretty jarring. I find the larger bumps more comfortable. I’ve been testing this primarily on “comfort” mode and not the other modes as I expect those to be even worse. I wonder if some of you guys have faulty avs.

I wonder if there's an easy way to disconnect the AVS control wiring from the shocks. Might set codes, but it would certainly point to either something wrong with the control program or maybe defects in the shocks where the valving is responding incorrectly to the signal.
Not a bad idea. Would be nice if someone’s dealer experiencing this problem would take this on vs having to diy it.

Reactions: JPE
Has anyone with the issue tried switching between “Comfort” and “Sport” modes while driving the same stretch of road? I’d be curious to know it there’s a noticeable difference from one extreme setting to the other.

Has anyone with the issue tried switching between “Comfort” and “Sport” modes while driving the same stretch of road? I’d be curious to know it there’s a noticeable difference from one extreme setting to the other.
Absolutely zero difference that ive noticed suspension wise. Definitely can feel it in the throttle response tho.

This has to be AVS related then. I’ve read the Lexus AVS is more on the “gimmicky” side but there should still be a felt difference.
Ive had three separate people hit me up on a FB post that said they each have theirs at the dealer, and are all getting new tires to replace the ones that came with their OT’s. I have a hard time believing that Lexus shipped hundreds of GX’s around the world with bad tires on all of them..

Ive had three separate people hit me up on a FB post that said they each have theirs at the dealer, and are all getting new tires to replace the ones that came with their OT’s. I have a hard time believing that Lexus shipped hundreds of GX’s around the world with bad tires on all of them..
I suppose tires are a possible cause but sure seems like “the easy way out” remedy vs finding the root cause. I’d have to re-read the thread to confirm but I thought tires/wheels had been swapped with no improvement?

That would be surprising. It really does seem like it might be somehow tied to the shocks.

Generally the tires would be a prime suspect and the simplest “fix”. You have to remember those people are probably all over the country and most aren’t having an issue, so it is probably the dealers first time with the issue, so they do the logical 1st step and change the tires. Couple that with a bunch of new drivers coming from cars saying it rides rougher than they are used to and it dilutes the pool even more. But most of the people who posted here changed tires and didn’t notice a change, per them

Not gonna lie, I felt the vibration on the text drive and immediately after I left and thought it may have been just a wheel out of balance. But I already had my new wheels and tires sitting at the house. So I didn’t think it made any sense to go back, because I was having them replaced the next day anyway. I was 100% wrong lol

I had my GX OT+ aligned before delivery, it was definitely pulling in a direction as per the Lexus tech

Other than that it's smooth - like a body on frame rolls royce

Picked up our Overtrail + on Saturday and immediately after pulling out of the dealer's lot we noticed a vibration that was present. We originally thought it was the tires being unbalanced or maybe the alignment was off.

We just picked it back up from the service today after being there for two days and they do not have an answer. I went on a test drive with their master mechanic who did notice what we were feeling and agrees it seemed odd. The tech said wheel imbalance would occur and be noticeable at speeds around 55+. The vibration occurs from 5 mph upwards. But everything they checked shows that there shouldn't be an issue. They are thinking KDSS might be the blame or perhaps the offroad tires... They have opened up a ticket and we are currently waiting to hear back from Lexus.

Any other overtrail owners experience this?
Hi Sir, I have been having
Picked up our Overtrail + on Saturday and immediately after pulling out of the dealer's lot we noticed a vibration that was present. We originally thought it was the tires being unbalanced or maybe the alignment was off.

We just picked it back up from the service today after being there for two days and they do not have an answer. I went on a test drive with their master mechanic who did notice what we were feeling and agrees it seemed odd. The tech said wheel imbalance would occur and be noticeable at speeds around 55+. The vibration occurs from 5 mph upwards. But everything they checked shows that there shouldn't be an issue. They are thinking KDSS might be the blame or perhaps the offroad tires... They have opened up a ticket and we are currently waiting to hear back from Lexus.

Any other overtrail owners experience this?
sir, I have been having the same issues with my OT as well. Did you ever find a fix? Thanks

No chattering on my lux+, but definitely notice that it doesn’t smooth out bumps as well as my previous Macan S with PASM. That’s to be expected though since this is BOF truck and much bigger. That said, I’m surprised that it doesn’t eat the little bumps for lunch and those are pretty jarring. I find the larger bumps more comfortable. I’ve been testing this primarily on “comfort” mode and not the other modes as I expect those to be even worse. I wonder if some of you guys have faulty avs.
That sounds expected to me. Most off-road oriented vehicles will trade off some small bump compliance for big bump and bottom out resistance. When I upgraded the suspension of my Tacoma to top of the line ADS shocks, it actually felt worse on the road but ate high-speed ruts and washboards for breakfast.

Test drove an Overtrail this weekend and noticed awful suspension chatter. Sales rep acted like it didn’t exist but both myself and girlfriend noticed it. Was really bad on rough road and even noticeable on smooth road. Guess I’m going to hold off on my purchase for now and see how this plays out.

GX550 Poll

• Eco

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Normal

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Sport S

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Sport S+

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Custom (comment with settings)